Curious about some recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pizzaface

Reaction score
I'm still pretty new, and i've been playing around with and experimenting trying new stuff.

All i've got is:
Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Vegetable Shortening (Crisco)

I've been doing usually an 80/20 OO/Coconut.. Superfatting with a bit of grapeseed.. it's a moisturizer right?

The crisco is okay to use right? Will it make my bars firmer since it's more of a solid oil?
Are there any other oils I should really get focused on picking up? Should i go heavier than I have been going on the coconut oil? I put one into SoapCalc and came up with
50% Olive Oil
30% Coconut Oil
20% Crisco

It comes out with some pretty good numbers.. 36 Hardness, 20 Cleansing, 59 Conditioning, 20 Bubbles, 16 Creamy, 63 Iodine

All of the numbers seem to be within a decent range.. but i'm not really 100% sure what i'm doing until I actually do it and see what comes out

Thanks for any tips/help

Grapeseed apparently goes rancid faster - I bought a lot cos it was so cheap - and now I only use it as a carrier oil for massages and the like. Olive Oil takes forever to cure and trace (IMO). Coconut will give you a nice hard bar. There are some great Crisco soap recipes on the net - my favourites are the crisco soap in a blender recipes.

Ah good. I'll definately stop using that stuff then.
I ordered a bunch of fragrance oils and some pigments i'm really excited for them. :D

Pizzaface, please don't rule out grapeseed oil all together! It has great qualities. Just cut back on it and use it in small amts.

Grape seed oil is a preferred cosmetic ingredient for damaged and stressed tissues, possessing regenerative and restructuring qualities which allow a better control of skin moisturization. It can help skin retain the normal structure of epithelium cells and nerve cells via supporting the cell membranes.

try some palm or palm kernel it makes the soap SO nice, you can get palm in health stores(disguised as shortening). Castor is also a great way to make bubbles, i use 2-3 oz per 2 lbs.

Latest posts

Back