Curiosity: Will soap cure without air?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetshavingproducts

Reaction score
I understand that it won't harden and lose the excess water, but would it still gain the rest of the curing benefits?

For example, pour/glop the soap into a plastic jar, wait a couple days, put the lid on, wait for 6 weeks. Would it be the same cure, but without the hardness? Or would it just not cure properly?

Well, you can certainly try it with a little bit of your soap for experiment's sake to see for yourself what happens (and come back and tell us!), but I personal wouldn't risk it the whole batch because it increases the chance of spoilage. The excess water will want to come out no matter what, and if it has no where to go, it could get ugly.

IrishLass :)

I think by definition a cure is drying and hardening. It will gel, and you can get bubbles. I make a CP soap and after it cools a couple of hours will put it in a ziplock for a few days, and later go back and roll it out like dough to make certain designs. I roll the scraps into balls, and usually keep one by the sink to wash my hands with. The rest I let "cure".

I've accidentally left soap in molds that were covered for an extended time (a few days to weeks) and the ones that were in there for weeks had DOS all over the bottom of the soap because they weren't able to dry properly.

Latest posts

Back