Curing Times

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liafrank

Reaction score
I've seen a wide range of curing times for cold process soap, anywhere from three weeks to 8 weeks and beyond. What influences the length of cure, percentage of superfatting? type of oils used? How long do you cure your soap?

For gelled CP, I cure 4 weeks. For ungelled CP, 5 to 6 weeks (some people prefer to cure ungelled soaps for 8 weeks). For HP, at least 2 weeks but generally will cure for 4 because while you forced the saponification to finish with the heat of cooking, it still greatly benefits from a cure. I hated the first HP I did at 4 days and it was better at 2 weeks but by the time 4 weeks rolled around, I loved it.

The only soap that really needs to have a long cure, 6 months to a year, is castile. I don't like castile because of the ick feeling it gives me because its lather isn't really bubbly, unless you use one of the nylon shower puffs. Also, I'm not one of them, but I know a few people who prefer to cure soaps with 80% or more olive oil for 8 weeks or more. I'm not one of them because castile is the only one I use more than 50% OO lol

Types of oil used & water discount mostly.
100% Olive oil is one that really does feel nicer after a long curing time. They feel nice at 3 months, great at 6 months & wonderful at 9 months-1 yr.

I cure my soaps (HP & CP) for at least 4 weeks before selling or giving them away. I personally use them after a week or two. Except my 100% olive oil soaps, I cure at least 3 months before selling.

Latest posts

Back