Crisco in a base recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

country gal

Reaction score
My goal is to have a basic recipe that won't make me broke or those wanting to buy my soap. Key word "Basic"!!!
I don't want to use palm oil, and would like to have a veggie basic and a lard basic. Would you use crisco in your recipe? I have made several batches with it and have good reviews. My recipe is: olive, canola, coconut, crisco, castor and shea. With the following #'s
hard.- 40
cleans.- 23
cond.-55
bubble.- 27
creamy latther-21
If I shouldn't use crisco and don't want to use palm...........then what???

Thanks guys in advance for your input!!

x

:D hi there!

many of us here use crisco with very positive results.

in fact, in the soap recipies and tutorials forum there is a very nice recipe by SOAPMAKER MAN called the WALMART SOAP. everything you need is easily available.

happy soaping!

Thanks!

On the ingredients, how would you word crisco? Also I have used the advise of Soapmakerman, and just use aloe juice. Would I list it as is in my ingredients?

Thanks again.
I love the drive of being new, but there are so many questions!!!!!
We need a soapers retreat!!!

isn't it in the ingredients...the name of the oils that is crisco. i think it is called soybeen oil.

country gal said:
Thanks!

On the ingredients, how would you word crisco? Also I have used the advise of Soapmakerman, and just use aloe juice. Would I list it as is in my ingredients?

Thanks again.
I love the drive of being new, but there are so many questions!!!!!
We need a soapers retreat!!!

i list crisco as soybean and cottonseed oil. i list ingredients by the amount used-in otherwords if you used mostly coconut, then that would be your 1st ingredient, and if you used a dash of paprika as a colorant, then that would be your last ingredient.

capeesh? :D

crisco is hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils....it's on the ingredients. Lots of people use crisco in soap with good results. I just made a bar with veggie shortening in it last night in fact. We all have to make our own choices in what we feel comfortable with in formulating our base soaps.

My basic lard recipe has 50% lard, with olive, coconut, castor and either shea butter or cocoa butter. Makes a very nice cost effecitve soap, which is good for me becuase I don't sell. :)

Well excitement over took logic!!! Yes the ingredients on the can of crisco is a great place to get sought info!!!
My new can reads differently then the last. This one list palm oil in it as well as Soy. No cottonseed oil! so much for palm free....

thanks gals for your in put!!

I also like crisco in my soaps, but list it as vegetable shortening. I guess I should indicate in brackets the breakdown soybean & cottonseed oil.
On my label I place it in order of amt. used as vegetable shortening(because there is no breakdown of the amts. of each oil in crisco). Is that how you do it heartsong......

I use crisco quite a bit, too. I list it as vegetable shortening. I like it and so does everyone else.

I use basic oils and I get really nice soaps. I buy everything from the grocery store, mainly walmart. I did purchase a 7lb container of castor oil from clumbus foods for a lot less than I could get retail around here.

I mainly use lard, crisco, coconut oil, veg oil, olive oil, and castor oils. I make a vegan blend and a regular blend. I like all my soaps.

If you list 'vegetable shortening" on your label, I think you are supposed to put (soybean and cottonseed oils) after that.

Oh, and if you are buying the Crisco brand, save yourself some $$ and buy the store brand....same thing.

Latest posts

Back