Favorite holy trinity variations?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! This weekend I wanted to play around with the “holy trinity” recipe, coconut oil, olive oil, and palm oil. The basic one would be a 1/3 1/3 1/3 split, but do any of you have must-try variations that makes a difference?

Anything like using olive pomace instead of virgin oil, different percentages, adding castor oil, additives, aiming for a specific temperature, anything at all!

🙏

55% lard (instead of palm)
20% CO or PKO, or mix
20% OO
5% castor

2% SF
1% of oil weight of sorbitol or sugar
1% of oil weight of sodium citrate

Dissolve the additives in the batch water before adding NaOH.

This is a nice slow-moving recipe that can be soaped anywhere from room temp to about 110 without affecting speed of trace. I normally use a 40% lye concentration, but 33% works just fine, too.

I am wondering the same myself right now & clearly have more testing to do because my test batch of this formula is underwhelming....actually, I'm not a fan, at all :nonono: Thank god I made only a 1LB batch 🙏

When cutting, my edges crumbled - something I have never experienced before, and right out of the gate, this soap is more harsh on my skin than my pine tar soap with 15% pine tar. Yes, I know it's going to change over the next few weeks, but nonetheless, not impressed.

I am formulating for one of my customers who keeps telling me she can't sell soap above a specific price point. Why, I don't know because all of my other customers do, but it is what it is. She wants cheaper soap 😂 Everyone else is very happy with the product they're receiving, go figure.

I used the following basic recipe with no scent:

40% olive
35% palm
25% coconut

2:1 water:lye
5% superfat

At this moment, I intend on reducing the coconut, adding a bit of shea & adding some castor.

Latest posts

Back