Crisco CPHP Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparklebrook

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a batch with a large amount of Crisco. I'm getting the feeling though that using more than 20% would be bad. I can't use lard and I was already going to use PKO and coconut oil. My goal here is to replace lard in the recipe. What do you think?

Speaking from experience, Crisco isn't a satisfactory replacement for lard.....palm or tallow would be. Crisco is too soft and isn't stable enough to use in those quantities unless you up your PKO and Coconut to a level where the soap is drying.

Just my two cents.

Mike

Tallow would be acceptable. Do you know of any place that sells it ready for use but not 50lbs of it? :shock:

I use it at 15% without issue. But I agree it's not a replacement for lard - at least not a direct replacement.

Is it that you have a recipe you like that includes lard and you want to replace it? You can play with soapcalc.com to see if you can find a blend of oils/butters that would give you the same fatty acid profile as the lard, or at least the same qualities when combined.

carebear said:
I use it at 15% without issue. But I agree it's not a replacement for lard - at least not a direct replacement.

Is it that you have a recipe you like that includes lard and you want to replace it? You can play with soapcalc.com to see if you can find a blend of oils/butters that would give you the same fatty acid profile as the lard, or at least the same qualities when combined.

Yeah, that's my deal. I found a recipe I want to use but calls for lard at 50%. I do like the properties of adding tallow to the recipe.

Sparklebrook said:
Tallow would be acceptable. Do you know of any place that sells it ready for use but not 50lbs of it? :shock:

Check the larger supermarkets in your area, and call some local butchers. Some sell tallow.

MikeInPdx said:
Sparklebrook said:

Check the larger supermarkets in your area, and call some local butchers. Some sell tallow.

Do I have to render it myself though because I SO don't want to do that. :shock:

You'll have to check....some butchers will have it already rendered.

Latest posts

Back