Creating unique blends

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sakura1024

Reaction score
Hi again! I have ideas for a few personal, unique fragrance blends and it got me wondering how many soapers usually create for their lines. I have several "straight-up" fragrances to use, but I want some blends that are unique to my lines. It's just a lot of money for all these different FOs! Just wondering what the rest of y'all do :)

I use very few fragrances OOB. I bought a bunch of little sample perfume vials and blend by drops. Lots of information without using a lot of product.

I like fragrances you don't have to add a thing to and they're just right. Like Oatmeal Milk and Honey. The only blends I've ever come up with that came out right were some essential oil combinations at Rainbow Meadow's website. With fragrance oils I blended almond and cherry together and it was nice. I plan on adding a little sage essential oils to some sweetgrass fragrance I bought because they work very well together.

Almost all of my fo's are blended by me. It makes them more unique.
If you decide to blend them yourself, make sure you right down the exact recipe when you do it, otherwise it's a pain in the butt trying to recreate the scent just by sniffing. :shock:

Genny said:
Almost all of my fo's are blended by me. It makes them more unique.
If you decide to blend them yourself, make sure you right down the exact recipe when you do it, otherwise it's a pain in the butt trying to recreate the scent just by sniffing. :shock:

That's a good point! I have a forensic chemistry background, so I keep a composition book with me at all times. I write down the recipe and then keep notes on how it turned out so I can remember what works and what doesn't. It's a habit I got into and it has been very beneficial!

i tried blending my own scent tonight and it came out wonderful! i am working on making my own signature scents because i am now working my way up to selling. i want something that is totally unique to me. this is so much fun! i may have a new addiction!

I rarely mix scents, just not into it, theres SO many cool fos out there.

I do both scents as is and also blends of my own.
I will see how a scent by itself works in soap before I blend them though... That way there are no nasty surprises for a scent I formulated that I think will work wonderful in soap and ends up soap-on-a-stick within 30 seconds. LOL

I blend my FO's. Most of the time they come out great.But one time I blended brandied pear with chocolate fudge, it morphed in to pea soup FO.
YUCK.

Back