Cream Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyaynn

Reaction score
Has anyone made cream soap? I'd like to try it, but was wondering how thick you can get the soap. The instructions I've found make it sound as if it turns out more like a lotion than a cream. I'd like it to be like the whipped soaps you can find on Etsy, but those tend to have all sorts of ingredients I don't want in my soap (like SLS).

I've been looking for pretty much the same thing... something with the consistency of Foaming Bath Butter, that behaves the same way, but made from scratch. Will watch this thread with interest!

Different recipes are different consistency. I am by no means an expert as I've only made 2 batches. Mine are very thick and then I use additives to thin. If you join the cream soap group here, http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CreamSoap/
There is alot of info and they are very helpful. It's wonderful to shave with and I've made some sugar scrubs. Not sure what exactly you're lookin for. HTH
Cindy

Coop said:
Different recipes are different consistency. I am by no means an expert as I've only made 2 batches. Mine are very thick and then I use additives to thin. If you join the cream soap group here, http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CreamSoap/
There is alot of info and they are very helpful. It's wonderful to shave with and I've made some sugar scrubs. Not sure what exactly you're lookin for. HTH
Cindy

I'm looking to make a shaving cream soap. Thanks for the link to the cream soap group. I'm going to check them out.

I've actually been a member of the Cream Soap Group for about a year, and do agree they are awesome. So helpful and generous with information, an invaluable resource.

What I'm after though is a different texture than the normal cream soap gives. Something a little less pudding-like, and a little more fluffy... like buttercream icing texture, if anyone knows what I'm talking about...

Cream soap strikes me as more the texture and look of a thick moisturizing cream or a whipped butter

You can make a thicker or thinner cream soap by changing the ratio of NaOH to KOH. The more NaOH the thicker or harder. You might be able to make a fluffier soap by adding more NaOH and then whipping it up in a mixer. I would think a denser cream soap with air incorperated would be fluffier.

I received a PM asking for a recipe from someone who's been having trouble joining the yahoo cream soap group, and can't access the wealth of information there.

I have a great tutorial from Bekka that I used for my first batch, and it turned out great, so would like to repost here, but not sure if I'm allowed to. I looked around the group and couldn't find any policies on this, but don't want to step on any toes. So before I repost something found there, are there any Cream Soap Group members around who know whether it's permitted or not?

Any guidelines would be appreciated :)

I belong to the cream soap group too, it's not easy to join, for good reason. Their policies don't allow their recipes to be posted outside the group, you can be removed for posting them.

Thank you for answering Amy, that's exactly what I was afraid of. Just hadn't been able to find the policies regarding reposts within the group itself. I certainly don't want to be removed from the group! It really is a wonderful resource, and those who contribute there deserve to have their recipes and tutorials treated exactly as they wish.

AmyW said:
I belong to the cream soap group too, it's not easy to join, for good reason. Their policies don't allow their recipes to be posted outside the group, you can be removed for posting them.

What exactly is their criteria for joining? I was denied. It wasn't like I was sent some questions asking my geniune interests about joining. I am trying to learn like everybody else. Very disheartning but there are other sources out there I just have to do a little more research.

I was denied the first time. The application form doesn't give nearly enough room to detail a person's experience and interest, which is what they're looking for. I was only able to input that I'd been soaping for a month and wanted to do some cream shaving soap. I don't know their exact criteria, so I applied again and said as much. The owner emailed me and I replied back, and told them of my experience and how serious I was about soaping and was approved.

The polices are under "Files" (left side navigation) =)

AmyW said:
I was denied the first time. The application form doesn't give nearly enough room to detail a person's experience and interest, which is what they're looking for. I was only able to input that I'd been soaping for a month and wanted to do some cream shaving soap. I don't know their exact criteria, so I applied again and said as much. The owner emailed me and I replied back, and told them of my experience and how serious I was about soaping and was approved.

Hmm. I just applied to join the group. Will be interested to see if I get denied, too. Sounds a little egotistical to me. But, what the hey, I'm just a good old redneck girl :lol:

JackiK said:
AmyW said:

Hmm. I just applied to join the group. Will be interested to see if I get denied, too. Sounds a little egotistical to me. But, what the hey, I'm just a good old redneck girl :lol:

Well, I was denied. Guess me and Bubba will have to stick wtih SMF :p

A friend of mine loaned me a book called "Making Cream Soap" and the instructions read sorta weird for me. I did manage to get my first batch to work out good and the look and feel seemed right. I think that if you experiment a bit with the additional water added at the end . . maybe using less for the stiffer soap you are looking for you, I bet you can make a great product

I don't recommend adding additional water to Catherine Failor's recipes. She formulates recipes with a high amount of water. I calculated it awhile back and I think her water amounts came out to about 6x the total combined amount of both KOH and NaOH. The batch can separate if you add too much water. If you want to add some water at the end of the cook, reduce the ounces you want to add from the beginning water amount.

I was a member of that group for a few years but recently quit because I don't like the attitudes. As long as bow at the waist appropriately you're fine.

The reason you would have been denied is they want 'experienced' CP/HP soapmakers.

My first cream soap I made today used Summerbee meadows lye calculator used 60% KOH and 40 Naoh and followed the directions for the cream soap.

image.jpg

That's beautiful looking soap! Thanks for sharing the picture. Are you planning on adding a hydrosol or some other type of goodie to it?

Back