Craters on top of the soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sperry

Reaction score
Don't know what else to call them. Dips on the top surface of the soap. I figured air bubbles IN the soap that came to the top. So I poured slower and slower and slower until the last batch, where I'm sure the bottom was hardening while I was still pouring. The craters are smaller, (almost acceptable, in fact) but still in evidence. How do I prevent it? Thanks

Is there a way to do it via my phone camera? It's the only one I have. But I think they wouldn't show very well, if at all, with a pic. The soap is white, and the craters are only like 1 or 2 mm deep. Crater is a pretty accurate word. Like someone pressed their thumb into them. Only the shapes are more random.

Sounds very weird. I would ask what type/shape of mold are you using? And since you mentioned bubbles, do you know to spray the surface with rubbing alcohol after you pour?

I'm using a home made mold I designed. Made from HDPE. Holds 4 rectangular bars, roughly 3X2X1. So... roughly a pound. My first batches sagged horribly in the middle. I figured it was some heat differential thing, and insulated the mold after pouring (even though I've never heard of anyone doing it with M&P). That 99% solved the sagging problem... and that is when the craters started. It HAS to be air, right? I figured it was air trapped IN the soap that was rising to the top, so I poured VERY slowly (it was hardening on the bottom by the time I was done pouring). The craters diminished, but have not disappeared. Thanks for any light you can shed on this. (I know about tiny bubbles and alcohol... thanks.)

hm... since it gets better when you pour slowly, have you tried pouring maybe 1/2 or 3/4 and letting it set up completely, then pouring the rest?

then I'd probably get two layers... each with craters...lol. I am going to run a few more tests. I think if I completely (and slowly) fill one cell before going to the next, that will do the trick. Hope so, anyway.

Latest posts

Back