CPHP vs. CPOP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyppyjr

Reaction score
My first time cphp. Been doing cpop for over 15 years. What did I do wrong? Same recipe and additives. 90% evoo, 10%, honey, oats and heavy cream. I’m assuming it’s differences in the processes.

Attachments

• C6F29616-7C10-4C55-9713-2921C970C78B.jpeg
    C6F29616-7C10-4C55-9713-2921C970C78B.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 74
Doesn't look like you did anything wrong, thats what HP looks like. The darker color is probably from the sugar and cream scorching slightly, did you add them before or after the cook?

I added aftter the cook on the hp and at thin trace on the cp. I was surprised by the evoo stayed green in the hp. I’m not sure I love the crockpot. Lol
Thank you for the replies.

I added aftter the cook on the hp and at thin trace on the cp. I was surprised by the evoo stayed green in the hp. I’m not sure I love the crockpot. Lol
Thank you for the replies.

It could still lighten a little but it will never be as light as CP. I personally dislike the look of hp, I won't do it anymore. You cp bar is really pretty.

Yep it’s crockpot hot process. It was my first attempt at it. Definitely sticking to cp. In a couple of weeks, I will compare the two. It was an experiment and an experience. Lol

Yep it’s crockpot hot process. It was my first attempt at it. Definitely sticking to cp. In a couple of weeks, I will compare the two. It was an experiment and an experience. Lol
Yes it is just the way HP looks.
I just don't like the look but lots of people do.

Is the one in the back of your photo your CP bar of the same recipe? It looks great.

Last edited:
I'll be the odd woman out here and say I love HP in my slow cooker hehehe

I don't even watch the whole cook anymore but I check on it every now n then. I leave it alone til the end or near end of the cook hehe

I'll be the odd woman out here and say I love HP in my slow cooker hehehe

I don't even watch the whole cook anymore but I check on it every now n then. I leave it alone til the end or near end of the cook hehe
I keep reading conflicting HP intructions.Do you cook for 3 hrs as suggested Everything Soapmaking or the shorter less than an hour once it looks like "glossy mashed potatoes?" I've tried twice...wasn't a fan, but don't know if I even did it right

I would never cook HP for three hours, there just isn't a reason too. Most will be done within 30-60 minutes.
I cook until it looks a bit transparent. I don't look for stages or a specific texture.

I keep reading conflicting HP intructions.Do you cook for 3 hrs as suggested Everything Soapmaking or the shorter less than an hour once it looks like "glossy mashed potatoes?" I've tried twice...wasn't a fan, but don't know if I even did it right
My first post on here was an overcooked HP soap. I must have left it in the pot for about 2hrs looking for the stages described. There's some good information there from our learned folks, if you feel like hunting it down.

Since then, I think most of my cooks lasted max 30mins, most of them less than that, and a couple of recipes that took only about 15mins. Sometimes you'll get all the stages, sometimes some, sometimes it goes from beginning to end skipping everything in between.

Following good advice, Obsidians is one, I've since turned my cooker off when more than 75% of my batter is translucent, and continue with additives, scent, etc.

Just don't let it cool down too much or you'll have difficulties molding.

I've done it twice, and not sure if I'm doing it exactly right, either, lol. @Dawni and @msunnerstood are our main resident experts at the moment (hopefully I haven't omitted anyone).

It does get under your skin a little, and though I haven't accomplished it so far, I keep hearing that a more fluid and smooth batter IS possible with HP... so that is keeping me intrigued. And definitely, this soap of @msunnerstood's can only be called a roaring success and doesn't show any sign that her batter was 'gloppy' like many of us newer to HP complain about ===> https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ave-you-done-today.42556/page-487#post-741506

I was glad to see Dawni's reply because I still haven't gotten all the stages, and I kind of like when things go through predictable stages so I know where i'm at, eh?. I'm pretty sure I let my first HP overcook slightly waiting for the stages, so the next batch (is it 2 or 3 now, I forget?) or maybe 2, I pulled sooner because it's true that it will finish in the mold if you mold it before it's technically fully cooked, and that is preferable to having the soap dry out or having fully cooked bits mixed in.

Thinking more about this, I may have confused vaseline stage with applesauce stage... hmmm.
I think that's why I waited a little too long the first time.

So I like that it's a flexible process, and pretty hard to screw up unless you overcook, in my newbie opinion so far. :)

One thing I know that adds fluidity to HP is about 1 tablespoon yogurt ppo mixed in right before you want to put the soap into the mold. I strongly suspect you could substitute powdered milk, because some rebatch methods use powdered milk for the same purpose. I have no idea why it works, but it does.

One thing I know that adds fluidity to HP is about 1 tablespoon yogurt ppo mixed in right before you want to put the soap into the mold. I strongly suspect you could substitute powdered milk, because some rebatch methods use powdered milk for the same purpose. I have no idea why it works, but it does.
I haven't tried powdered milk (I will now!) but yogurt does work wonders. I also reserve part of the required water and add it hot after before molding. It helps after adding in all other additives (which should also be warm/hot) and colors, and the soap has thickened up a bit.

And I'm no expert @Meena haha still got loads to learn. Just sharing what I've found out from what little experience I have :)

Some people add the powdered milk straight into the soap. When I tried that, I had problems with the powder not mixing in well enough, so I mix it with a bit of water to make a thick paste and add the milk that way.

I am so glad to hear you say that your soap comes together in 30 - 60 minutes.

I have recently made a couple batches of cream soap base and some liquid soap base, all of which required hot processing. All came together like lightning - like - 3 minutes after curdled mess, I got smooth creamy mashed potatoes! On the first one, I did not trust that I knew what I was seeing, so I let it cook nearly to the recommended time -- which was something like 2 or three hours.

In all the recipes I have tried thus far, I have been getting to the "end product" in as little as 25% of the recipe timing. The recipe writers either have the slowest crock pots known to man, or I have the fastest.

The first time i did a HP bar soap I was a slave to the timing in the recipe and got an unmitigated disaster.

Now that I know more, I may go back and try again.

My trick is once it gets past the applesauce stage and you stir it you can kind of feel it come back together. the consistency is smooth and not oily. thats when I stop. once you see the soap stick to the side without easily being able to be scraped off its almost too far. I zap test and its almost always negative. Hope that helps

Back