CP with soapnuts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
I found a thread from 2013 on here about soapnuts in CP but I really didn't get what I was looking for. I think the process is you boil the nuts in your distilled water and then strain. Once cooled you can mix your lye in as normal, right?

I boiled mine in water and strained. I once added the lye to it but it got really dark and cloudy, almost like it toasted it and it discolored the soap a fair amount. After that, I would make a 1:1 lye solution and add the rest of the liquid to the oils as soapnut water. Once the lye water went in, I was at full water, or whatever I decided. Regular soapnut water is tea colored but doesn't show up as much as it does with lye added to it. It does add to bubbliness of the bar and also a certain silkiness/slickness to the lather, I thought.

I boiled mine in water and strained. I once added the lye to it but it got really dark and cloudy, almost like it toasted it and it discolored the soap a fair amount. After that, I would make a 1:1 lye solution and add the rest of the liquid to the oils as soapnut water. Once the lye water went in, I was at full water, or whatever I decided. Regular soapnut water is tea colored but doesn't show up as much as it does with lye added to it. It does add to bubbliness of the bar and also a certain silkiness/slickness to the lather, I thought.

How much soap nuts would you recommend in the boil?

Interesting. I have always wanted to try soapnuts. Ellachio, can you tell me what they add to the shampoo bar? I'd like to make an alternative for my dd's who have sensitive skin.

Back