Cp to mp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felgie

Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering can we use a cp soap to be melt and pour soap by adding glycerine??
I just watch sophia naturals did that and suceed. However, i have a problem on melting the cp soap..my cp soap cant melt. Here is the link to sophia naturals video.

Please advise me

You can make a transparent soap with glycerin, problem is the soap will weep so badly it will eventually end up in a messy puddle. Kevin Dunn, in his book, has experimented with this and found it is unsatisfactory. I also tried it as a test, he was right in less than a week it was all melted. While m&p may start out as hp soap it takes several additives to make a decent transparent soap. My avocado m&p I make does not sweat at all even unwrapped during our humid weather. Granted our humidity is nothing like Florida, the South etc, but we are starting to get monsoonal flows in the summer like Arizona

I see, so it is impossible to create a mp soap using our cp batch as it will melt in less than a week? or is there any other way to transform a cp to mp? I got a lot of failed design of cp batch..other than rebatching, i am thinking of what to do with this..

I've never made M&P but I do know that it takes more than just glycerin to make that type of soap. I'm sure another soaper will chime in. For now,I have dishes and a bed calling me.

I tried making my own homemade M&P with a similar method, (I made my typical CP recipe, then HP'd it with the same amount of glycerin) and it was okay at first, but so much work, and ended like Carolyn said and weeped horribly (even though I'm in a very dry climate), and it didn't really remelt all that well like normal M&P does. For me it's easier just to buy a Stephenson base of M&P and call it good.

Ah! But it costs so much to ship here! So I am still trying to figure out a way to make mine.

My 5 year old loves to play with Melt and Pour. She loves to put on gloves, add a measured out amount of mixed mica and fragrance oil (Measured out by Mum) and share her soaps that she made all by herself with people because I haven’t found one that doesn’t dry her skin out so she can’t even use it. I make emulsified Bath oil for her and that has been great.

It makes her so happy and she is such a great big sister plus she doesn’t really ask for much so it’s been difficult saying no to her. But with cost of Melt and Pour at $3.55 per lbs and shipping to me in Nigeria at $6 per lbs. I have paid $9.5 per lbs excluding shipping from B.B. or any other supplier that I buy it from. I have stopped her from using the last 3 blocks of Melt and Pour until I crack how to make my own. That hasn’t stopped her from asking again and again though.

Still hunting and experimenting though. So any help will be greatly appreciated. I did try the one from Bulk Apothecary. While it was clear, it is too soft.

I see, so it is impossible to create a mp soap using our cp batch as it will melt in less than a week? or is there any other way to transform a cp to mp? I got a lot of failed design of cp batch..other than rebatching, i am thinking of what to do with this..

You can confetti old soap - grate it) and add it to new soap batter at 1:2. It makes an interesting soap design wise.

Ah! But it costs so much to ship here! So I am still trying to figure out a way to make mine.

My 5 year old loves to play with Melt and Pour. She loves to put on gloves, add a measured out amount of mixed mica and fragrance oil (Measured out by Mum) and share her soaps that she made all by herself with people because I haven’t found one that doesn’t dry her skin out so she can’t even use it. I make emulsified Bath oil for her and that has been great.

It makes her so happy and she is such a great big sister plus she doesn’t really ask for much so it’s been difficult saying no to her. But with cost of Melt and Pour at $3.55 per lbs and shipping to me in Nigeria at $6 per lbs. I have paid $9.5 per lbs excluding shipping from B.B. or any other supplier that I buy it from. I have stopped her from using the last 3 blocks of Melt and Pour until I crack how to make my own. That hasn’t stopped her from asking again and again though.

Still hunting and experimenting though. So any help will be greatly appreciated. I did try the one from Bulk Apothecary. While it was clear, it is too soft.
I sent you a message. Here is a link for a book that has good recipes https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ix=how+to+make+mel,aps,289&crid=2RU555YGZ4OYA

Last edited:
Keep in mind that melt and pour is a type of transparent soap, but not all transparent soaps are melt and pour.

You can make a transparent soap out of regular soap by adding a solvent, but it will not necessarily be a M&P type. If you remelt it, the soap will become opaque again. Or it will be really unsatisfactory as when just glycerin is added to the soap.

Take a look at this video and the recipe posted with it:

I've made MP from shredded CP using this method (using shredded soap in place of the oils and NaOH in the recipe). You may have to add more solvents in order to get everything melted. Surprisingly, it worked rather well and lathered better than I thought (with only 20% coconut and 5% castor).

The problem I had (whether I was using scraps or formulating from the ground up), is that my soaps eventually sweated themselves into a puddle. Everything was great in the winter when I made them, but once the spring came (and the rain with it), the humidity was too high. I don't know where the OP is from, but I live in upstate NY, on the top of a mountain; it's seldom warm here, but the spring and summers can be uncomfortably humid. If you do attempt this formula, keep an eye out for melting.

This recipe was easy to melt and fragrance, but it did develop a skin fairly quickly. The unscented bricks held up nicely in zip-top bags, but I gave up once I realized the mess they'd make if left unwrapped in a shower.

Latest posts

Back