CP soap did a magic trick..what happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srenee

Reaction score
OK I was doing this CP soap. Everything was going fine. Until I added my eo as very light trace. All of a very split second, it traced then got super hard like bad mashed potatoes. When trying to scoop it out into molds, the very center of my pot of cp had gelled, but the rest look like potatoes. Did I ruin it? What happened? I've used this recipe before just with different scents?

olive oil 24 oz
coconut oil 24 oz
lard 38 oz
shea butter 10 oz
lye 11.8 but was short 1 oz, so I held back my olive oil by about 2 oz
water 32 oz

I had everything melted and ready to go before I realized I was 1 oz short on the lye

the fragrance oils I used was bergamot, frank& Mur, and Vanilla.

Did 1 oz do it?

Will is turn out ok?

it's the FOs. they caused your soap to "seize" or at least "accelerate" and you ended up with soap on a stick. :(

using soap calc with your oils at minus the two ounces it said you still needed 13.3 grams of lye at 38 % water with a 5 % super fat so with the less lye I'm gonna say your soap is overly superfated. don't know how to fix hopefully a moderator will chime in

the superfat is not related to the seizing, but is a bit of a concern. you could end up with a whole lot of soft, oily soap - or it could be great.

you can fix it by mashing it all up and cooking with a solution of water and the remaining lye - i.e., rebatch it.

I suggest you back off and work with 2# batches for now - to waste 6# of oils on a new formula or new fragrances doesn't strike me as a good idea. I always experiment with 2# of oils.

Seized soap

Thanks for the advice. It's not a new recipe I haven't used before, but as I kinda thought it must be the eo. I didn't thing I would have a problem with it. I usually cut about 30 bars or so. I ran the numbers in SM3 so I thought is was ok. Trial and error I guess. I'll just rebath them tomorrow. Hopefully ther will do fine. Right now they are kinda hard, like clay, and opaque kinda. Thanks for the advice.

seized soap

Also, using SM3 it said 8% lye, 12.96 oz 9.4 % of recipe, 30% water discount 22.97 oz
Did I screw up somewhere?

Really I think you had the EO's seize your soap up - I've had it happen with FO's but not EO's. Of course I haven't often used EO's for soapmaking.....

Seizing

Yeah, that one kinda shocked me a tad. I was making a batch per a customers request by email. But later she actually order a different soap...woo! Got nervous there for a moment. Fortunately, now I have time to rebatch it and see what it will do.

I use eo's all the time. Some are fast seizers, most are not. One learns by trial and error (hopefully not too many errors :wink:

If you do want to rebatch, my fav way is to put the batch into a stainless steel pot, with lid, into a 250 degree oven. Cook for 15 mins, stir, another 15 mins, stir. If too thick, add some glycerine if you have it. Water doesn't always mix in well, but you can try it.
Usually after 30 mins it's smooth enough to glop into mold. Bang mold on floor several times to settle it all. It will still look lumpy, unless you're very lucky. I'm not overly fond of HP soap, but it has saved me an almost-failed batch many times.

Good luck!

Seized Soap

Thank you. I am getting ready to do 2 batches tonight like that. Thanks for the tip. They smell pretty good so all's not lost.

Latest posts

Back