CP fragrance melt down

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clhigh29

Reaction score
I picked up soaping last year and until now, I've been pretty happy with my projects. I set out to make lavender/oatmeal soap only to find out that I didn't have enough lavender for the batch. I panicked and started adding other fragrances to the lavender, deciding in the end that it can't be lavender after all. By panic, I mean I added Red Brazilian Mandarin, Plumeria, Bergamot, and Fir Needle. The soap itself looks beautiful, but has a very confusing fragrance :crazy:. Unfortunately, it's also the first time making a 5 lb. loaf (because the lavender oatmeal is so popular). What does one do with a 5 lb. loaf of expensive soap that smells eh :eh:?

Give it a creative name and market it as a one time only luxury bar, someone is bound to like it.

the blend likely smells nice, but you may not like it b/c it's not what you wanted. let the soap set for a while and see if the scents blend into one another (which i think they will), and like Obsidian says, think up a creative name and description. someone will love it and buy tons of it!

I'll have a hard time rebatching something if I don't like the fragrance. I cut it and moved it to a room where I don't need to smell it. Hopefully, after 6 weeks it will transform into something tolerable. Keeping my fingers crossed. It's heartbreaking, though. It took two hours to make. It pays to be organized, which I obviously wasn't.

If anyone's curious, I thought I'd follow up and let you know what my soap wound up smelling like after this meltdown. First of all, I think I managed to save the appearance.
2014-02-04 18.52.16.jpg

But, I couldn't figure out what it smelled like. It seemed familiar, but I just couldn't get it. I gave one to my daughter and asked her what she gets. Okay, ready .... the first words out of her mouth were ... Double Bubble.

It really sounds like it would smell quite nice. Plumeria and lavender are nice together, bergamot should help anchor it and mandarin (not sure what yours smells like goes with almost anything along with Fir Needle. I love anything piney and woodsy. Somone will love it and they look great. I love the colors

Thanks! Again, I'm still a newbie so I'm not selling. Everyone who winds up with my soap asks if they can buy it... It'll be interesting monitoring this one:). I won't even attempt to replicate it.

Latest posts

Back