cost of markets and craft fairs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know how anybody can make anything at those prices.....
And what gets me is that some ask for a discount. I will discount at 60+ but its very little.

I think that it depends on what we are trying to do. Some one once told me, "You go to as many, because that depends on how much you will make." I dont do large shows either, anything over 120 for two days is it. The large shows seem to have 10,00 people and 5,000 vendors, and depending on where you are placed, that could be very bad. So it depends on what city and how famous the shows are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that [other] crafters typically have higher priced items than soapmakers, so it is probably worth more for them to pay the higher costs. I've had this discussion many times with a friend of mine who makes doll clothes. When we do the same show she'll make 4-5x more than me in total sales, but break it down into number of items sold and I out sell her in that area every time. My items just happen to be $5 or less, whereas hers are $12 or more. When my husband was doing welded art, one sale of the right piece made the show worth it for him.

I think in many parts of the country you can still make a profit at craft fairs. However, you have to know your niche and be familiar with the shows in the area. Not every show is a fit for every person. You need to decide how much soap you would need to sell to be able to make the show profitable and then making the decision of whether that is possible. If it isn't possible the first year would it be in the second or third when there would be repeat customers. I do well but limit my shows to ones with non-profit promoters that cater to a family atmosphere. I like double booths so that more than one customer can be at the tables (even though it increases my costs). You have to decide how many bars you could actually sell each day. It takes physical stamina standing and each sale takes time. I do a couple of large shows and I can sell 300 bars in a day but I am totally worn out. I couldn't have done my big shows the first 5 years I was selling soap. It took time building a reputation so that each year I see the same people and they are looking for me. It took time for me to learn what customers want and how best to manage my booth to sell. As you learn from smaller shows it makes it easier to decide when/if to pay the larger fees.

I think shows are the best way to gauge what scents customers like and what they want in their products. For me one of the joys of my soap is how many friends I have that years ago were only customers.

I think in many parts of the country you can still make a profit at craft fairs. However, you have to know your niche and be familiar with the shows in the area. Not every show is a fit for every person. You need to decide how much soap you would need to sell to be able to make the show profitable and then making the decision of whether that is possible. If it isn't possible the first year would it be in the second or third when there would be repeat customers. I do well but limit my shows to ones with non-profit promoters that cater to a family atmosphere. I like double booths so that more than one customer can be at the tables (even though it increases my costs). You have to decide how many bars you could actually sell each day. It takes physical stamina standing and each sale takes time. I do a couple of large shows and I can sell 300 bars in a day but I am totally worn out. I couldn't have done my big shows the first 5 years I was selling soap. It took time building a reputation so that each year I see the same people and they are looking for me. It took time for me to learn what customers want and how best to manage my booth to sell. As you learn from smaller shows it makes it easier to decide when/if to pay the larger fees.

I think shows are the best way to gauge what scents customers like and what they want in their products. For me one of the joys of my soap is how many friends I have that years ago were only customers.
When I first started I did flea markets. The cost was ten dollars/day (my day started at 4 am and went till 3 pm when I finally got home) I did this to get my feet wet and get my speech on. I figured I was going to have to work harder at a flea market to sale a very expensive soap, and I was able to work on what I needed to work on my booth look too. I got so good, other vendors (not soapers) were telling me that I didnt belong there. I stayed till I felt ready to move on, it took a year. Your right, we need to find our selves first before we can see where we stand.

Latest posts

Back