Cosmetic Product Safety

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amme20

Reaction score
Hi- i was all geared up to sell at my local craft fayre a few weeks ago until i mentioned it to a neighbour what i was going to do, she said i had to be licenced to sell to the general public!! so i had a meeting with trading standards and they told me that i had to get my products tested etc and apparrantly i also ahve to subnit my product to the european commision cosmetics products portal aswell.... it's such a mindfield i really don't know where to start. I've spent about £200 on oils, butters etc. some advice would be greatly recieved.

Hello and welcome. Following the rules is part of having a business. Insurance is a must as well. How long have you been making products? What are you trying to sell? Has it been tested long term. Please stop by the introduction forum and introduce yourself.

Hi- i was all geared up to sell at my local craft fayre a few weeks ago until i mentioned it to a neighbour what i was going to do, she said i had to be licenced to sell to the general public!! so i had a meeting with trading standards and they told me that i had to get my products tested etc and apparrantly i also ahve to subnit my product to the european commision cosmetics products portal aswell.... it's such a mindfield i really don't know where to start. I've spent about £200 on oils, butters etc. some advice would be greatly recieved.

The rules are quite strict in Europe for selling bath and body products. You should start by making basic soap and giving it to family and friends for feedback. Ive been making products for about 10 months and still wouldn’t feel confident enough to sell them public. Takes lots of practice.

You have to get a cosmetic safety assessment done in the U.K. If you go to cosmetics safety assessments.co.uk they have loads of information. It’s actually not that difficult. Costs around £180 for a range of 6 soaps. Yes you have to register your products on the portal. It’s very easy. They ask you to register products in case someone has a reaction or ingests something so the ingredients can be identified easily.

Good luck. Don’t worry it’s not that hard once you get going.

Back