Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@AliOop it sounds like it's really not practical or practicable for you to get there in person. I can only imagine the frustration - I too have family a long way away and it's really hard at times like this.

I wonder if there is a care company you could contact and pay for remotely who might be willing to send in a suitably masked carer once or twice a day for a short visit, to help with essential functions like hygiene, basic cleaning, food prep etc. If they're sensible, it'll also give you an objective pair of eyes to watch her progress.

Thank you, @Babyshoes that is a lovely idea. At the moment, they insist that a few local friends from their church are providing all the help they need. They also live in a fairly rural area (northern Wyoming) where medical care in general is awful, and independent care services simply don't exist. But I'll do some checking to see if any options might exist. My BIL has very good insurance after retiring from a very large public utility company, so that's the positive bit.

We hope to hear from him today with an update. His last text yesterday was simply, "She had a really rough day." He said in previous texts that besides being quite sick himself, he's overcome with emotions and not able to talk or function well. I can only imagine.

If they have medicare (not sure of the ages here, but you mentioned retired so...) the medicare advantage supplemental insurance will often provide meals to be delivered for a couple of weeks after a hospital stay. I don't know if they have a meals on wheels type of service in their area, but maybe something like that could be helpful. Otherwise, there are options like Healthy Fresh meal kits that need minimal prep/cooking that can be delivered. I know how helpless you and your hubby feel. Hoping everyone starts to feel better soon.

Thanks @dibbles they do have Medicare in addition to their insurance from his former employer. Great idea re: meals on wheels, as well as meal kits. I will definitely check into that!

UPDATE: just received a text from my SIL. She says she is feeling a smidge better today. We will take it! Thanks for all who have prayed and are praying. 💙

Last edited:
Back