Converting Ounces to Grams

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakingNana

Reaction score
I have a formulation that calls for 4.5 ounces of an oil, and says the gram conversion is 135 grams. When I checked that on my conversion calculator, it said 128 grams. Anyone know which one is more accurate, and have a recommendation on the most accurate conversion calculator?

I use http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/weight.php

1 ounce equals 28.35 g so 4.5 ounces should be 127.5 g You need to make sure you're basing it on weight and not liquid.

It said 135 g in the recipe? That would be almost 4.8 ounces.

cwarren -

The site you're looking stated "We assume you are converting between ounce [US, liquid] and gram [water]". I don't think it should be stating it's grams. 4.5 oz would equal 133 ml.

Check out the liquid conversion link.

http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/volume.php

I think your recipe might be confusing fluid oz to ml with oz to grams.

4.5 fl oz = 133ml -/+

4.5 oz = 127g -/+

Its a little harder for we Americans to get used to, but the metric system is so much easier. Especially when formulating.

Soapmaker handles the conversion perfectly.

Many people don't know that Google has a built in calculator for such things.

So if you just type in "4.5 ounces in grams" into the search you get
4.5 ounces = 127.572854 grams

But yes this assumes weight measurements... not fluid volume measurements.

Deda said:
I think your recipe might be confusing fluid oz to ml with oz to grams.

4.5 fl oz = 133ml -/+

4.5 oz = 127g -/+

Its a little harder for we Americans to get used to, but the metric system is so much easier. Especially when formulating.

Soapmaker handles the conversion perfectly.

...which is what I was using to record the recipe. The 135 has to be an error in the recipe. (Gee, we've never seen THAT before, have we? :p) It's one of the Lotioncrafter formulations. I dropped them a note.

Thanks, everyone.

Back