Considering Castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me Castille is 100% Olive Oil and I sell it as that, for my Castille I don't add any additives except silk and I sell it as a baby soap. I also sell a Bastille which is OO & CO, also without any additives other than silk of course.... 8) . The rest of my soaps are variants of the Bastille and sell really well. The unscented Castille & Bastille are both really big sellers for me. For my castille I use a 35% Lye Solution to increase trace and drop my SF to 5% on this one.

Cheers
Lindy

I have never heard of Bastille before now. Odd? I had heard American Castile or British Castile, but not Bastille; although I've explained the American and British as "bast***ized Castile.

As I have read it, Castile, Spain was the first place a pure olive oil soap was made. It can be called all vegetable, because that was the "miracle" - it had no animal fats to make it soap. But, it was all olive oil

So, to say a Castile soap is all vegetable oil soap, well, that makes me sad. Because, it is an all olive oil soap that makes a Castile soap. My snobbery.

Also, I love extra virgin olive oil for my castile soap. It is awesome to say the least. It takes a bit more to trace, but awesome I tell you. I've never used anything like it.

I, too, have tried olive oil with coconut and castor and only coconut and only castor, and I love them all.

Now, I use only evoo in all my soap recipes - it does make a difference because I've done all three grades of olive oil in my soaps for one year. Extra virgin gives it awesome gentleness and an extremely mild but powerful cleaning. Pomace is the worst in my experience.

So, Val and Lindy, I agree that Castile is a 100% olive oil soap. But, we may be a minority. :p

I'm in the minority with you because to me, Castile is 100% Olive Oil. I've just gotta figure out how to label (meaning name not ingredients) the Bastile stuff. I may just call it Castile-like. We'll see.

zeoplum said:
I'm in the minority with you because to me, Castile is 100% Olive Oil. I've just gotta figure out how to label (meaning name not ingredients) the Bastile stuff. I may just call it Castile-like. We'll see.

just a thought: :D

"spanish castle soap"

imho, most people can't spell castile or knows what it means. i believe it's "us soapers" that pick up on that.

dr bronner's soap is hugely popular world wide and is no more a castile soap than i am an italian opera singer! LOL! :D

in fact, i just mis-spelled "castile" and had to come back and edit! LOL! sometimes i can be such a dummy! :D

Monet, that's a good point.

Maybe I'll just focus on the "all-natural" and "gentle" key words when I name it. :wink:

zeo

Yes, Monet, I feel you are exactly right.

My customers do not know what castile denotes anyway. So, I name my castile soaps "pure olive oil soap". And, people do know what "all gentle" and "natural" mean, Zeo. Good thinking.

It is a soaper's term. And, I never see a full agreement on its meaning everywhere I've been.

:lol:

I usually add 1 tsp (british) to my soap for bubbles when I use castor oil as well. For this 95% OO and 5% shea butter I'll be making tomorrow, I'm thinking about maybe adding another tsp of sugar.

Can you put too much sugar in soap?

xraygrl wrote:
That would be what we soapers call a Bastille (Ba**rdized castille)

Seriously? I've been wondering what that word meant. You wouldn't just be pulling this newbie's leg, would ya?

Nope not pulling your leg. BTW, Bastile isn't a REAL term. It's a term that soapers came up with for mostly olive soaps that weren't real castile soaps. I don't think anyone actually uses the term "bastile" on their labels. :)

xraygrl said:
xraygrl wrote:
I don't think anyone actually uses the term "bastile" on their labels. :)

They do use Bastille on labels , I was curious and googled it . :shock:

I had never heard of Bastile till recently and quite honestly, I am glad to know what it means, I feel guilty selling A castile soap knowing it is suppose to be 100% OO and it's not. Even though I list the ingredients I still feel guilty. Now I can call it Bastile and not feel guilty:)

I have made 100% OO and I am still sitting on it because it took it so long to dry that I am scared to death I will have DOS on it one day. Too scared to sell it.:(

What xraygrl said- Bastile is not actulaly a REAL term- it's just a nickname that a very tongue-in-cheek soaper came up with, and although anyone can use it on their labels, it carries no legal weight and is not by any stretch of the imagination recognized as a trade name or anything like that. Its meaning goes only so far as the person that decides to use it.

I have a detailed explanation that I wrote in the following thread as to why the term Castile can be used in the US even though there is no olive oil in the soap. I got the info from the FTC.gov site (FTC is the US Federal Trade Commission):

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=10798

Also- I just found this out recently and thought I'd share it.....Spain is just one of many countries who make 100% olive oil soaps. The Middle East were making purely olive oil soaps long before even Spain it seems. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabulsi_soap

and also this:

http://www.alepposoap.com/presentation.html

IrishLass :)

IrishLass, that is awesome work and thank you for that. So, that makes the term "castile" a bit off center, doesn't it? I sure like knowing my history better. Thanks.

But as to pure olive oil versus a mixture of all vegetable oils? I know what the government says...it represents soap made without animal fats or products. But, if Castile soap is so named to be likened unto soap made in Castile, Spain, wouldn't it have to be only olive oil? *just to keep the debate going* :wink:

They do use Bastille on labels , I was curious and googled it .

Seriously? Well, I guess they must've thought it was a "real" term. I'm amazed. :shock:

IrishLass said:
was like washing with goopy egg whites.

IrishLass

Lol.....my thought's exactly! Sorry to anyone who loves castile but for some reason it gives me the willies. I like to have 20% coconut and 20% palm in mine (so it's not a castile) to give it a little more omph...but I don't have any problems with coconut drying my skin. And I really, really like bubbly lathers.

Although it ready to use straight away, I find that it is still soft and needs the normal amount of curing to make a hard bar, but once it does, it makes a really hard bar and it lasts for ages!

vivcarm said:
Although it ready to use straight away, I find that it is still soft and needs the normal amount of curing to make a hard bar, but once it does, it makes a really hard bar and it lasts for ages!

Good to hear. Do you think HP makes a better, harder bar of castile over CP?

I'm not sure, I do personally prefer CP, but I can rebatch quite happily and also use HP. I had to do a rebatch of 100% castille, because it didn't gel and I cut it too soft (- lesson learnt!), and rebatched it with some more oils and lye mixture (all measured with soap calc), and it is now a hard bar but still to early to tell in the long run as that was only a week ago, but it is harder than just cp castille after a week. I don't really use Castille myself, but my Dad uses it so can't really compare. If it's for me I would add something else too, as previously said, the slimeyness puts me off a bit, but if you could let the bar dry properly between uses....

Latest posts

Back