Confused about colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am confused about what colorants to use in my HP soap. I am still learning with LTHP. I was told that the best option is for a concetrated liquid FD&C approved that can be diluted with water. It then can be added to the essential oil and then added to the soap after trace.. But I have also seen people use powdered colorants.. It was recommended to avoid powered colorants because it may not blend completely or cause other issues. I dont know what is the best type of colorant or the best time to add it during the process. Any help would be appreciated.

Liquid colors are convenient but not necessary. I started out with HP and always used powdered colorants, including clays, micas, cocoa powder, etc. You can premix them in a bit of your oils, EOs, FOs, sodium lactate, yogurt, or water, as appropriate.

Just make sure the color mix is warmed up or even hot when you add it to the soap. That will avoid the difficulty stirring due to quick hardening caused by adding something cold (or even room temp) to the HP batter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back