Comparing oil prices across countries...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This came up on another thread, so thought it might be interesting to discuss.

I will convert my NZ dollar to US dollars so as to make it a bit easier:

EVOO organic: $US15.58 per litre/kg
EVOO: $US11.50 per litre/kg
Refined/light OO: $US8.13 per litre/kg
Coconut Oil: $US8.13 per litre/kg
Soy Wax: $8.13 per litre/kg
Castor Oil: $8.13 per ltr/kg
Shea butter unrefined, organic: $US26 per ltr/kg
Shea Butter refined: $US12.19 per ltr/kg
Babassu Oil: $US20 per ltr/kg

You will have to covert the amounts to Oz for those in the US.

You might like to look at
https://www.purenature.co.nz/collections/butters

For better prices per litre.
Also once you get going and buy 5 litres of oils the prices are cheaper again.
That’s where I buy most of my supplies PJ. They don’t do soy wax though. I tend to shop around for some things to get better prices, but Pure Nature is consistently pretty good.
I look at the 5 kilo prices but can’t afford that kind of initial outlay for a hobby.

This came up on another thread, so thought it might be interesting to discuss.

I will convert my NZ dollar to US dollars so as to make it a bit easier:

EVOO organic: $US15.58 per litre/kg
EVOO: $US11.50 per litre/kg
Refined/light OO: $US8.13 per litre/kg
Coconut Oil: $US8.13 per litre/kg
Soy Wax: $8.13 per litre/kg
Castor Oil: $8.13 per ltr/kg
Shea butter unrefined, organic: $US26 per ltr/kg
Shea Butter refined: $US12.19 per ltr/kg
Babassu Oil: $US20 per ltr/kg
I’m not sure of the US (or NZ for that matter) prices as I’m British, but is the intention of this post to get others to do the same based on where they are as a point of reference for others? Or are you just discussing NZ vs US prices ?

I’m not sure of the US (or NZ for that matter) prices as I’m British, but is the intention of this post to get others to do the same based on where they are as a point of reference for others? Or are you just discussing NZ vs US prices ?
As a point of reference for others. I just looked up the average prices based on purchasing a litre in NZ dollars then went to an online currency converter to convert to US dollars.
@Dawni in Asia says her coconut oil is real cheap - would be good to compare.
I bet olive oil is cheap in The Mediterranean!

I paid £3.38 for a 1kg of coconut oil yesterday.
I’m in the UK
That's fantastic, where abouts did you get that from? I get my coconut oil from Sainsburies (KTC 2.45 per 500g ) as it's the cheapest (both online and instore) that I've been able to find, apart from B and M's but I don't have one close enough and they don't deliver.

That's fantastic, where abouts did you get that from? I get my coconut oil from Sainsburies (KTC 2.45 per 500g ) as it's the cheapest (both online and instore) that I've been able to find, apart from B and M's but I don't have one close enough and they don't deliver.
Poundstretchers,it’s in 500g jars £1.69 each

3.38GBP = $US4.27.

That's half the price that I pay for coconut oil here.

We always use coconut oil for cooking in the house and buy it in 1 ltr pails. The stuff I buy for soaping is the same price - I kind of expected it to be cheaper given that it's not necessarily food grade.

Poundstretchers,it’s in 500g jars £1.69 each
Ahhh that'd be why, I think my closest Poundstretcher's is on the other side of London. That's a similar price to B n M's but again, the store's are so far between and I don't drive, the cost of a cab makes the trip redundant XD

As a point of reference for others. I just looked up the average prices based on purchasing a litre in NZ dollars then went to an online currency converter to convert to US dollars.
@Dawni in Asia says her coconut oil is real cheap - would be good to compare.
I bet olive oil is cheap in The Mediterranean!
My list would not be helpful as a point of reference lol but just to join in the conversation....

Olive oil 5ltrs = USD 39
Avocado oil 1ltr = USD 15
Rice Bran oil 2ltrs = USD 8.5
Grapeseed oil 1ltr = USD 11
Coconut oil 1ltr (local) = USD 3.5
Sweet Almond oil 1ltr = USD 15
Cocoa Butter unrefined 1kg (local) = USD 15
Shea butter unrefined 1kg = USD 17
Beeswax local = USD 7.5

These were my initial purchases, most oils from the supermarket except Sweet Almond and the butters and wax..

Back