Colourant tips

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey again everyone,

The day draws neigh! My oils, pigments and fragrance oils are in the mail, only a few states away from me, yay!

I've been running the game plan in my head a few times and am sort of "stuck" with the colourants. I will be making two , two pound molds with this soap, and as i have four ounces of fragrance oil, i have decided on a robust one ounce per pound ruling(the fragrance oils are fairly non reactive as far as research has proven so yay).

Colourant on the other hand, seems to more difficult for me to decide on. I have one ounce two colourants, both non bleeding (here is a link to one of them http://www.brambleberry.com/Electric-Bubble-Gum-Colorant-P4966.aspx)

My plan is to take a small amount of the olive oil out of the recipe ( a few table spoons at most) before i add lye water, and mix in the colourants until all the clumps are gone, then add it back in during trace. As far as i can tell from all the reading i've done , this is fine and dandy, however, i just cant decide how MUCH colourant to mix into the oil.

Tips? I don't want to over do it and have it stain peoples hands when its all done, but at the same time, who wants drab non vibrant soap?

Last edited:
I haven't used the oil method but I have seen some soapmaker's videos - it looks like they only use a very small amount maybe two tablespoons at most, usually around one tablespoon. Don't quote me on that but it might give you a starting point.

In my experience, with ultramarines, oxides and whatnot, a little goes a long way. I personally would start at a tsp ppo. You could also contact BB and ask what they recommend. I find them to be an extremely helpful company.

Oil might work, but the instructions call for mixing it with liquid glycerin.

That's for melt and pour. It's noted for use in cold processed soaps also, though, so I'd add it to oils. What the OP is suggesting should work fine.

I have found too that its best to start out with less. And with darker/brighter colors your batter to be lighter than what the final color will be so don't over do it. I bought mine from BB too but haven't tried all of the samples I bought yet

When I use a new colorant for the first time I start out with 1 tsp for my entire batch. I usually make 3-5 lb batches. With some pigments thats all you need. Start out small then adjust from there. Its always easier to add more if you need it.

Back