Colour suggestion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galavanting Gifts

Reaction score
I would like to make a soap with black and red colouring (black backround with red chinese dragon), what would be the best thing to use to get a solid red dragon?, I would prefer to do it in cp, any suggestions?

Getting a strong red in CP has been discussed here in other threads and seems to be pretty elusive. Some of the mineral oxides (Burgundy or brick red) can give you a decent red but it's not a true, bright red. If you use micas, it seems like you have to use a LOT. SOmeone told me that to get a really bright sparkling red, they used something like a teaspoon for 3-4 ounces of soap, if I recall correctly. I've done a couple soaps using a couple different TKB red micas and I've found it does take an awful lot, and sometimes I still end up with it too light and pinky. I'll be eager to heard what other people have found.

I haven't used micas or oxides but I've read that if you use too much PPO, your lather will be red and can stain washcloths, etc. But again, I haven't used them.

That example does look like an M&P but I think you could do it with CP. You'd have to prepare one part of your soap first, color it red and pour it at thinnish trace and let it set up until it's able to support the weight of the other soap. Then you make the rest of your batch and pour it in really gently over a spatula so it doesn't disrupt the dragon. That color red though... The oxides I've had- burgundy and brick are brownish red, not bright red, but TKB colorona borgeaux or glitter bordeaux should give a good red, but you'd have to use a fair amount. I know there have been times I've used A LOT of mica to get a strong color with some of the darker micas and the soap gets kind of chunky and porous-looking but that was with the ones with some black in them. I bet with the red micas, you could get the right concentration without affecting the soap too much.

GG, email bigtreesupplies and I'm sure they'll tell you what they used to get that soap. That way they'll be able to sell you the supplies and make a sale.

Relle.

Back