Colorants - Santa Red

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was in my mailbox this AM from Lovin' Soap Studio

THE PERFECT RED COLORANT FOR CP
Amanda covers where to buy it, how to use it, use rate, and oils to make a white soap for best results. :videovisit: :thumbup:
Great article, thanks for sharing Zany. I know where I'm going when I tread into the CP swirls and cool colors zone.

I used it last year and just a heads up that it did create a slightly pinkish lather. In the actual bar it didn't bleed into the other colors but after a 6-8 week cure we used it and the lather was a little pink. Didn't really matter to me because it created such a great red for a Christmas soap I made.

I don't remember, but I started with the lowest recommended amount since it was a new mica, but added more. Used peppermint eo so I know that didn't discolor it. I'm thinking of trying to mix with a little orange next time.
I always use the maximum recommended amount, as I usually avoid gel phase with the red (if making soap dough or because of the mold). Last time I used it was for this:

Attachments

• 8078ECC7-D6FB-45F3-A61B-38E8C0694400.jpeg
    8078ECC7-D6FB-45F3-A61B-38E8C0694400.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 24
I used it last year and just a heads up that it did create a slightly pinkish lather.
I'm wondering if you used TD? Amanda says, "Do not whiten your soap by adding white mica or titanium dioxide. That will give you more of a pastel red/pink."
I get a more purplish red rather than a Christmas red. My batter is lard, palm, co, and safflower or sunflower, no olive.
You may want to review the tips for making white soaps again. Amanda says, "Avoid unrefined avocado oil, hemp oil, green-tinted olive oil and even possibly palm oil! All of these oils can create a soap that is tinted a bit."

Is there a trick to Trial by Fire? I get a more purplish red rather than a Christmas red. My batter is lard, palm, co, and safflower or sunflower, no olive.
I'm wondering if it was the palm oil?? Amanda mentions in that article that palm can interfere with color. Just my .02.

Is there a trick to Trial by Fire? I get a more purplish red rather than a Christmas red. My batter is lard, palm, co, and safflower or sunflower, no olive.
Same!! but not the purplish red, I still tend to get a pinkish/muave color.
I'm wondering if it was the palm oil??
I don't use palm oil in my recipe - well, not palm oil, I do use PKO, but the pko I have is pure white, so that shouldn't morph a color and doesn't morph the red I do use -
I use MM's True Red Set - and yes, there is a trick to the true red set - just mix the colorants very very well - I get a true Crimson/Christmas red with my TRS every single time.

I've always associated Christmas with a more velvet red than the orange red of Trial By Fire. It doesn't look like a true red to me.

Latest posts

Back