Coffee Soap Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

athallr

Reaction score
I am super excited to make coffee soap, however I am not a coffee drinker. So I'm wondering if by double or triple brew it means more coffee grounds in less water or adding more water to the coffee grounds and brewing them again?

I have espresso grounds to mix in the soap hoping they will be less abrasive...should I soak them first?

Thanks so much!
Amy

I grind my own beans. I use dark espresso, and grind them extra fine. I have used ground coffee, and look for the darkest I can get. Espresso is usually a fine grind so should work just fine. You don't have to soak it first.

LOL, you are all so precise! I just dump some grounds in the lye water.

BTW, if you don't want the scrubbiness of the grounds, you can use instant coffee granuals. Just dissolve them in water b/c it will NOT dissolve in soap batter. Trust me.:wink:

Thank you all so much! Now, do I use the amount of water or a little more in the pot that I need to use for the soap recipe to make it extra strong? I'm sorry I'm so dense when it comes to brewing coffee!

A friend ground the beans for me so I will use the espresso ground in the soap and the regular grind to make the coffee.

I don't think there is really a way to do it "wrong". What do you want? Do you want a dark brown bar? Do you want a very scrubby bar? Do you want the bar to smell like coffee?

To smell like coffee preferably...

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

You're not likely to get much of a coffee smell after it's done. The lye/saponification process kind of takes care of that. You will want a coffee FO or something else. I've not noticed a coffee scent in my soap anyway with out an FO

I tried coffee soap. The bars looked beautiful! I just used expresso in place of the water. I ground up some beans and put them in after it had been in the crock pot for a while, just before pouring into my mold. There is absolutely no coffee scent to it at all. I will be making this again, but I will use FO next time.

I have noticed a very very slight coffee sent. But that is when I put the grounds in. When I use instant coffee (so no grounds in the soap) I don't notice a scent. But in those situations, I am using a small amount of coffee for color.

I do think if you want a strong, noticable coffee scent that you probably need an FO.

Back