Coconut & Pumpkin Hot Process Recipe Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if I could get some advice about the HP recipe I am planning on making tomorrow. This will be my second HP batch, the first went well.

I am wanting to make pumpkin soap using both real pumpkin and coconut milk. The recipe I am using is as follows (i have run it through soapcalc):

2lb Batch
10% Superfat
Sweet Almond Oil - 5%
Castor Oil - 5%
Coconut Oil 76 degrees - 20%
Cocoa Butter - 5%
Olive Oil - 30%
Palm Oil - 30%
Shea Butter - 5%
Water - 7.6oz
Lye - 2.6oz

I will also be adding FO and some ground oatmeal.

A couple questions:

For the pumpkin, I read one soaper substituted 1 oz of pure pumpkin for 1oz of water ppo. Should I add this in with the lye water solution, or at trace? Also, for the Milk (unsweetened coconut milk), I was going to substitute part of the water for the milk, say 3 oz. Should I also leave that 3 oz out of the lye water solution and add the milk at trace, or should I just add the pumpkin and the milk with the water? Should I lower the SF% to account for the fats in the milk, and if so is there a formula or guideline to use so I can do it in the future as well?

Thanks so much!!

Add the pumpkin and coconut milk to the oils before your lye water and SB it in really well then add your lye. Have fun!

Thank you! I tried that and everything worked well with the lye, no burning or odd smells!

It did completely separate in the crockpot, turning into oil and little rice shaped batter, but I stick blended it out, and now it's in the mold. I'll cut it this weekend.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back