Coconut oil and palm kernel oil in same recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapman Ryan

Reaction score
I have seen some bar soaps with both coconut oil and palm kernel oil in a bar of soap with one or two ingredients between them in the list. Why would someone want to use both of these oils in a soap?

I have done it because I had a bit of palm kernel oil to use up. That's probably not the reasoning that others have though!

Mixing them gives you the same bubbles, but may be less irritating to someone with coconut sensitivities.

Palm kernel gives hardness and lather much like coconut, but it's supposedly a bit less harsh/stripping to the skin.

I think the lather with coconut and palm kernel is a bit different that just coconut. Seems thicker and richer to me.

I also use coconut/palm kernel/babassu together. Again, produces lovely lather and no one has ever complained about irritation, even though my hard lathering oils are at 30%.

Anita

I used both for the same reason as Rachelmf...to use up the PKO I had on hand. I used both the PKO & Coconut Oil, but half the amount I would usually use of just the Coconut Oil. I noticed my soap was ready to cut less than 24 hours...sometimes 12 hours...after making it. I waited almost too long once, and the bars were almost too hard to get my wire cutter through. I didn't really notice too much of a difference in the lather/bubbles. I will stay with CO now that I've used it up. I hated seeing it go to waste.

I use them both in my soaping too. I am liking the lather better. Its a bit creamier andd bubblier and my bars are definitely harder. I used to use just CO but I like the gentler lather and am thinking of maybe going with just the PKO without the CO. I was reading on another forum how a soaper tried it with just the PKO and said it was the best lather ever. So thats why I am thinking of at least testing it out.

Back