Coconut Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you would use it as full or partial water replacement. When I use whey I use my 50/50 lye solution and use the additional 50% as the whey blended directly into my oils. When I purchase yogurt I always drain it for awhile because I like thick Greek yogurt and do not like the price, so I buy plain regular yogurt and drain it. I also drain my sour cream. I freeze my whey until I have enough to use

Just looked the link posted above, I agree that it does not really make much difference in the soap, but does not waste the whey
Oh that's good to know. I make Greek yogurt sometimes and don't know what to do with the whey either. I think in December I was trying to figure out whether I could use it for soap, but then -- don't quite remember why -- I concluded that it would not work well. I must have read something somewhere, but glad to hear it works from someone who has actually tried it.
(Also, apparently, whey from cheesemaking and whey from yogurt making are not the same so they may behave differently?)

I know I'm a little late to the party but...

RE: @KiwiMoose question:

Just from the reading I have been doing it seems that coconut milk can overheat? If I make it in a loaf mould is it best not to cover it? Will it still gel ( I want it to)?

Any tips from experienced coconut milk users appreciated.

I use coconut milk (and goat milk) as a full water replacement. I used Organic Thai Kitchen brand (with guar gum). I freeze it into cubes and I add a wee bit of liquid milk at the end to make up for the fluid amount the cubes were deficient.

I do an ice bath when adding the lye, but then wait for it to become room temp, or just set into a bowl of warm water, soap at room temp. It'll false trace in the lye mix!

I also strain it when adding into oils, just in case there is any undissolved lye (since you can't see thru it!). It doesn't overheat and I gel - the goat milk does over heat and looks better ungelled. My first batch of goat milk seized, gelled and volcanoed! (it was small, like an inch, I smashed it down.)

And I do notice a difference btwn an all water or all coconut/goat milk soap - but I may have been biased bcuz I knew which was which (not a blind test). Same recipe in both, water batch was super fatted, coconut milk batch wasn't (cuz of the fat in the milk).

@Chris_S You can make your own almond milk by grinding nuts, adding water, grinding some more and draining/squeezing out the fluid thru a muslin. Costly. Never tried it in soap though. Try it and let us know?

@atiz @DeeAnna has a guide for using acids in soap. It's the lactic acid/lye combo that you need to compensate for. It's on her Classic Bells page, I don't have the link thou. Edit: Found it! https://classicbells.com/soap/lacticAcid.html

Last edited:
Thank you ladiies for your replies! I believe I will indeed give it a try next batch just to see if it is easy enough. I also found the other link that showed 36 way to use whey, so now i am happy it wont go to waste :)

Arrrrr! Thread pirates ;)
I don’t mind, I’ve ‘had my way’ (whey) with the coconut soap questions.
Thank you for your understanding and your input! I so appreciate it! What a great day! As well as the farmers cheese turning out very well, today I made my first batch of macarons that turned out beautiful! Now-- if I can make whey soap that is fabulous I will count my blessings!

I bought a can of organic coconut milk with guar gum. There were about six kinds at each store I went to and I read the ingredients of each one. One brand had like 8 ingredients that I thought were so unnecessary lol. I’ve been inspired to make another coconut soap. My last batch was just so darn hard!

Latest posts

Back