Coconut Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK - this weekend's plan is to attempt a CP coconut milk soap. I have my recipe and a lovely can of coconut milk that has NO additives! What a find!

Just from the reading I have been doing it seems that coconut milk can overheat? If I make it in a loaf mould is it best not to cover it? Will it still gel ( I want it to)?

Any tips from experienced coconut milk users appreciated.

TIA :p

I use coconut milk the same way as soaper for life.
No overheating. I put it in a silicone mold in a wooden box and a polystyrene box in summer and cover the lot with a doona in winter. No overheating ing problems.

I think it might add a tiny bit to bubbles but I can’t be sure and I haven’t had anyone comment in the coconut milk. Oat milk is a different story!

I do the same as above. However, I add powdered to it as well to make my batch full milk. I pretty much add Coconut milk to all my batches except a few where I use Beer, Buttermilk or Goats milk. Sometimes Aloe juice.

I do the same as above. However, I add powdered to it as well to make my batch full milk. I pretty much add Coconut milk to all my batches except a few where I use Beer, Buttermilk or Goats milk. Sometimes Aloe juice.

Sorry its off topic slightly kiwi but shunt i would really appriciate a bit of advice with regards to aloe vera. i have aloe vera gel, so is this juice you speak of just aloe vera gel mixed with water? If so do i class the aloe vera gel as part of the water in the recipe, so 50:50 lye mixture then the other half of the water is 50:50 water and aloe vera gel by wieght? And add that to the oils just before the lye mixture?

kiwi i know its not coconut milk but when i made goats milk soap i had to put it in the fridge when it started to crack on the top and overheat maybe keeping an eye on it for your recipe would be a good idea and you can see how you need to treat it? This was one of my very early soaps though so might of been my inexperience that caused the overheating and cracking

@penelopejane have you ever tried soy milk? i bought some the other day with the intention of trying it but not got round to it yet. Iv also got almond milk that i wanted to try. That might be todays project actually because iv only ever made goats milk would be good to have something to compare too

Sorry its off topic slightly kiwi but shunt i would really appriciate a bit of advice with regards to aloe vera. i have aloe vera gel, so is this juice you speak of just aloe vera gel mixed with water? If so do i class the aloe vera gel as part of the water in the recipe, so 50:50 lye mixture then the other half of the water is 50:50 water and aloe vera gel by wieght? And add that to the oils just before the lye mixture?

I've not used aloe vera gel in soap. There are some that have and there are posts on it. I get the Aloe Vera Juice in the pharmacy area at the grocery store. Apparently some people drink the stuff.

thank you shunt iv done some research into it now and got my answer looks like i was on the right path with my idea. I have heard of that aloe juice but given they have flavours ect i assumed it wouldnt be stable or contain too many unknowns to add to soap

Cant say iv ever seen them unflavoured so didnt know it exsisted, why would anyone want to drink that yuk

I would caution again soy milk and almond milk bought from the supermarkets - there are other additives - a lot of almond milk has rice milk in it too. Just check the labels to make sure you know what you are getting.
@SoaperForLife @penelopejane @shunt2011 thanks for response - I intend to mix mine into the oils before adding the lye water, which is 1:0.9 lye - the rest of the water will be provided by the coconut milk.

I do 1:1 lye water and use coconut milk for the rest.
Mine is canned pure coconut milk but it is thick. Some are very watery. I do sometimes add powdered coconut milk to make it up to full milk.

Citric acid does not go well with goats milk but seems ok with coconut milk.

Almond milk is not pure here (and it is watery) so I wouldn’t use it in soap. It’s about 30% almond here!! I don’t see any advantages. Same as soy. I wouldn’t drink it so wouldn’t put it in soap.

I do 1:1 lye water and use coconut milk for the rest.
Mine is canned pure coconut milk but it is thick. Some are very watery. I do sometimes add powdered coconut milk to make it up to full milk.

Citric acid does not go well with goats milk but seems ok with coconut milk.

Almond milk is not pure here (and it is watery) so I wouldn’t use it in soap. It’s about 30% almond here!! I don’t see any advantages. Same as soy. I wouldn’t drink it so wouldn’t put it in soap.

Thank you ill check ingredients and if it looks like its same here ill just scrap it i only bought it because it was cheap

The reason people use coconut oil in soap is to incerase the bubbles. I think coconut milk is supposed to do the same. Also label appeal but I haven't gauged any label appeal for coconut milk.

Goats milk seems to be a deterrent for some. While for others it has label appeal even though it has been proven in blind tests that it has no effect on soap.

I don't think coconut milk increases bubbles, but it does make the lather creamier. It's a vegan option for a creamy milk soap.

Thanks amd. That is good to know. I am hopeless at discerning the differences between my soaps. My husband is even worse. I will keep it in my coconut soap.

If i use the canned stuff i do 50-50. If its the stuff from cartoon then i use 100% milk. I also mix the milk on the oils.

I find they add bubbles because fhey have sugars, ha! There is no such things as “additive free” coconut milk thaf i have seen.

Just from the reading I have been doing it seems that coconut milk can overheat? If I make it in a loaf mould is it best not to cover it? Will it still gel ( I want it to)?
TIA :p
I'm not very experienced but my first try with coconut milk was an epic fail. I got lye chunks!

I froze the milk (freshly squeezed from coconuts in the market) and broke it up and added my lye to that and thought it dissolved well. After combining with oils and stick blending it I noticed solid chunks of lye and milk. The advice I got is here, maybe you'd like to read how the really experienced ones do it. Needless to say, I won't be doing it that way again.

Maybe try 1/2 water for lye and then 1/2 coconut milk in the oils before Lye.

I tried it the other week but tiny batch and in small individual mold.

Anyone know if Coconut Milk heats up At All ?? Since my molds are about 5# (oil) batch, and my last not so great trial with buttermilk, I am wondering if the bigger mold will be hotter.
But if coconut milk is NOT a heater I should be fine. I am hoping to keep it on all soaps if I can.

btw, I liked the result of the tiny coconut milk batch, even at a week old.

Maybe try 1/2 water for lye and then 1/2 coconut milk in the oils before Lye.

I tried it the other week but tiny batch and in small individual mold.

Anyone know if Coconut Milk heats up At All ?? Since my molds are about 5# (oil) batch, and my last not so great trial with buttermilk, I am wondering if the bigger mold will be hotter.
But if coconut milk is NOT a heater I should be fine. I am hoping to keep it on all soaps if I can.

btw, I liked the result of the tiny coconut milk batch, even at a week old.

I haven't had as much heating with Coconut Milk as I do with buttermilk. I do watch it a bit to make sure all is good. I did 7 batches (6 lbs) last weekend and no overheating though I did get glycerin rivers but I used more liquid than usual too so kind of expected that.

Latest posts

Back