Coconut Milk- Liquid or Powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bann51

Reaction score
Hi. I'm seeing a lot of people are using coconut milk because it doesn't turn soap brown or because they want to stay vegan. Are any of you using liquid or powdered coconut milk? The coconut milk I'm seeing in my neighborhood is loaded with other things besides coconut. What are you using? Are you making it yourself or are you able to get pure coconut milk? Thanks.

I get the canned coconut milk in the Asian section of the market place. I try to find one that has the least amount of ingredients. I used to be in an area where I could get a brand that was straight up coconut milk. Last time I bought some I couldn't find that brand so bought one that had one other ingredient. I didn't have any problems soaping that.

I did coconut milk yogurt today from Whole Foods and then I also have canned coconut milk with 1/2 the water taken out of it. Think it's the condensed?

I had trouble finding the pure coconut milk too, I bought the powder and it works very well.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your responses. I searched around and found a can that just has coconut milk. I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll post my results.

Made my first coconut milk soap. Found Goya coconut milk which is 100% coconut milk. I used half distilled water and half coconut milk. I added the coconut milk at trace. I just made it and I hope to cut it in 24 hours. If it's too soft I'll wait until 48. I didn't insulate it and I put it in the refrigerator. I'll keep y'all posted. Also, it's the first time I made it so I made 16 oz. and put it in a Glad plastic container.

First Coconut Milk Soap.jpg

I would believe anytime you buy coconut milk it would need a preservative of some sort of it would def go bad ( i tend to not believe labels ) therefore i make my own :) what i don't use in soaping goes to smoothies and vegan ice cream!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Soap Making mobile app

Last edited:
Thanks ahutchins9. You're right, had to look at that can again. It does have a potassium based preservative and water. What it doesn't have is the guar gum or sugar that some coconut milk products have.

Looks nice and creamy! can't wait to see cut pics :)

I have cut my coconut milk soap. I didn't want it to gel and put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. However, it has that ring in the middle from not fully gelling. The right on the right is an end piece the one on the left is a middle piece. I am assuming the outer sides of the soap get colder first and stop it from gelling. Should I have put it in the freezer or should I have just let it sit out? As for the soap itself, it feels creamy. I'm really happy with it. I just need to now how to set it up after I put it in the mold. This is the first time I've made coconut milk soap. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks so much.

Coconut Milk Soap.jpg

Next time (you know there's gonna be a next time!) either leave it in the freezer longer or when you take it out of the freezer put it in the fridge over night. I found to keep the partial gell from happening I keep mine cool for a longer period of time. Still looks great! Nice and creamy!

Based on my own experience and what I've read, keeping the soap cool for the first 4 to 6 hours is critical if you want to avoid gelling. And if its a milk soap or a special batch with expensive ingredients that I'm making, I take extra care to do avoid gelling - so I often put the soap in the freezer for 2 or 3 hours, and then move it into the fridge for another few hours (or even overnight).

(I ruined a batch of saffron soap due to partial gel, so am determined never to have that happen again! The soap is great though ..... so I'm happy to use it all!)

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Thanks for the responses. Yes, there will be a next time. I will put it in the freezer for a longer time. Keep you posted.:D

I've used the canned and the carton. I prefer fresh over canned and powdered. I mostly use cartons of the Silk brand unsweetened coconut milk as I get more milk for my money and use milk in all my soapmaking. Same with goat milk and buttermilk. I buy the fresh milk in the carton.

Coconut milk itself is mainly water. There is no milk in the coconut itself. It is made by pressing the coconut flesh with water. I would be more concerned with the other additives in silk

Coconut milk itself is mainly water. There is no milk in the coconut itself. It is made by pressing the coconut flesh with water. I would be more concerned with the other additives in silk

True. I guess I didn't make my point very clearly. If you compare the calories, fat %, etc. of a can of coconut milk as oppposed to what's in a carton of Silk, you can see that the Silk product is much more diluted or the can is more concentrated, take your pick. Ounce for ounce, canned is much higher in fat and calories than Silk.

I'm not bashing Silk. Most of the people in my family are lactose-intolerant and have been drinking Silk products for many years. I'm grateful they exist.

And you are also correct that Silk has additives, more so than the canned coconut milk. According to the Silk website the ingredients are as follows:

INGREDIENTS: Coconutmilk (Filtered Water, Coconut Cream), Natural Flavor, Carrageenan, Yam Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2. 45 calories per 8 ounces.

Wow. Didn't expect such a response. I have a Jamaican friend who boils grated coconut and squeezes it to extract the water to make peas and rice. Personally, I don't have that time. Using coconut milk from the can is expensive, though you can find it cheaper in some foreign or Asian markets. Since Silk is cheaper and is all natural I don't see why people can't use that. I appreciate the supportive nature of this forum because as a beginner to cp soap I've gotten a lot of help. We have to make our own decisions as to what is important and what serves our needs and the needs of the people we serve. Also, did you know lye is used in food products such as curing olives, and added to certain canned foods, and some pretzels. Go figure! :-o

Latest posts

Back