Cocoa Clay Basil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These smell SO good! I love the basil EO! Split the batter and added green clay to half and cocoa powder to half. FINALLY remembered to add the SL, I’d forgotten it twice before. Tried mixing the EO with the clay and cocoa. I’d still like it to be more fluid when I pour, but it was better. But, I totally forgot I was going to make a swirl! 🤦🏼‍♀️
The cocoa powder made a dark thin border, any idea what caused that? I like it! Just curious.
Also, I can’t find %99 alcohol to spray the top with. Can %70 work?

Attachments

• A3164C7F-BCF0-45B3-A06E-4A1C7D603D3F.jpeg
    A3164C7F-BCF0-45B3-A06E-4A1C7D603D3F.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 31
  • E8A00B14-01E8-459D-A943-F512AD294887.jpeg
    E8A00B14-01E8-459D-A943-F512AD294887.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 28
Those look GOOD 😍

(i like the tops)

the dark ring looks like vanilla colouring, with the dark as a ring around the outside
if it works the same way, the rest of the cocoa area will go the same dark colour by exposure to air

I can’t find %99 alcohol to spray the top with. Can %70 work?
Yes.
TIP: I buy the 32 oz size at Walgreens. Take the top off and add a sprayer re-purposed from an empty spray bottle. When empty, I save the bottles for liquid soap and foamer refills. It's a nice square size to fit under sinks. :thumbup:
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 6.04.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Yes.
TIP: I buy the 32 oz size at Walgreens. Take the top off and add a sprayer re-purposed from an empty spray bottle. When empty, I save the bottles for liquid soap and foamer refills. It's a nice square size to fit under sinks. :thumbup:
View attachment 46898
Thank you! That’s what I was hoping. I haven’t been able to find %99 alcohol. I like the ashy so far, but I’d like to be able to choose.

My question is, will the cocoa stain your face cloths. I ask this because I just made a batch with cocoa and it turned dark brown.. very beautiful.. and somebody wondered if it would stain your face cloths.

My question is, will the cocoa stain your face cloths. I ask this because I just made a batch with cocoa and it turned dark brown.. very beautiful.. and somebody wondered if it would stain your face cloths.
It might, depending how concentrated the cocoa is. I have never used cocoa powder as a colorant, so someone who has used it may be better able to answer. Great looking soap.

I use cocoa powder in my face masks and my face scrub, and it doesn’t stain. I wipe it off my kitchen counter with a sponge or a towel and it doesn’t stain those.

Nice, actually what I use is carob but not everyone knows what that is. It is the same color and texture as cocoa, maybe lighter. Thank you for responding.

Nice, actually what I use is carob but not everyone knows what that is. It is the same color and texture as cocoa, maybe lighter. Thank you for responding.
I actually checked on these today and they have darker to the color that the edge was in the posted photo. It’s beautiful!

@chayah I also use carob powder for coloring soap, because I have a bunch that I bought for cooking before I learned that I didn't like the taste.

I've used varying amounts of carob in my soaps, ranging from light tan to dark brown. It does discolor the lather, but it doesn't seem to stain anything - the color just rinses away. HTH!

@TashaBird I was so intrigued by your review of the basil EO that I want to try it in my next batch.

EOCalc shows that 1% is the only safe usage rate for basil EO in CP or HP soap. Everything above that is in the red zone, lol. As someone who reacts (over-reacts, really) to stuff, I have to stick with that safe usage rate for sure.

Was that the amount that you used for your soap? Normally I need 3-5% in order for any scent to survive saponification and cure. I hate to waste EOs, so I don't want to try it at 1% and then find out I can't smell it.

Thanks!

@TashaBird I was so intrigued by your review of the basil EO that I want to try it in my next batch.

EOCalc shows that 1% is the only safe usage rate for basil EO in CP or HP soap. Everything above that is in the red zone, lol. As someone who reacts (over-reacts, really) to stuff, I have to stick with that safe usage rate for sure.

Was that the amount that you used for your soap? Normally I need 3-5% in order for any scent to survive saponification and cure. I hate to waste EOs, so I don't want to try it at 1% and then find out I can't smell it.

Thanks!
I added the fragrance to the calculator and didn’t get a warning. I used %3. I’ll be sure to check it before I give it to anyone else. Can you link the EO calculator you used that says this please? I’d like to check for future batches.

Latest posts

Back