cocoa butter question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyshopper

Reaction score
using cocoa butter question

So glad I found this forum so I can ask my silly newbie questions :problem:

Tonight was the first time I have used cocoa butter. I was expecting it to be the same kind of consistency as coconut oil - how wrong was I!

I could not get it out of the tub! trying to spoon it out was not working so I got a knife and starting hacking into it, this just caused little bits to flick off and fly everywhere. I was only making a lotion bar so gave up when I had about 3/4 of the amount and made do with that.

Does anyone have any tips for using it? What should I be doing? Should I put the whole tub in the microwave for a few minutes to soften it before hand? or by a radiator to soften it maybe?

Thanks

Last edited:
Get a silicone ice tray like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC3R5H6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

melt your butter in very short bursts in the microwave, or use a double boiler to JUST MELT it. If you get it too hot you can cause the butter to become gritty.

Pour into the tray and let cool. you can pop them out of the mold once they cool and solidify. Now you have small blocks that are much easier to deal with.

This works with shea too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a fork to break off as many chunks/chips as I need for whatever I'm making at the time. I bet chisels would be good, too.

The ice tray trick sounds pretty good as well.

IrishLass :)

Thanks

I will have put the whole tub in the microwave as I will not be able to get it out of the tub to put in a double boiler.

Wish I had known it would like this to use. I would have avoided buying in a tub and choose a seller that sells in blocks (would be easier to cut). Naively I choose the tub version as I thought it would be easier to store :roll:

Last edited:
its worse than a large block. Its 500grms in a tub so I can't even get a knife to the edge to cut, I just had to hack into the middle :sad:

This is it
http://worldofmoulds.co.uk/image/ca...a Butter Refined 500g WOM website-500x500.JPG
Here is what I do with such tubs. Take a slightly bigger sauce pan, place something like a sturdy cookie cutter on the bottom and put the butter tub on it. Pour water to about one inch up the sides of the tub and let it simmer until the butter is melted. It goes faster if you could cover the tub as well as the sauce pan. once its all melted pour it in silicone trays to make small cubes.
If you can control the power level on your microwave you can melt it slowly on a level 2 or 3, that is way easier. I can do that with my microwave but I just like to do it the hard way I guess.

I get 25 lb blocks and use a chisel and rubber mallet. Use to just use a sharp knife until it went through the cocoa butter to into my hand. Got 3 stitches. Won't be doing that again.

I went the other way for mine. I put it in the fridge, chunked it up and put it in a food processor to make sort of a coarse sugar. I keep it in the fridge and just spoon it out when I need it.

I was surprised how well it worked. I was looking one day to avoid melting it all because I have experienced the graininess. I'm going to do my next batch of tallow that way too.

ETA: The blades will heat it up some, so make sure it's cold going in and don't over-process it.

Take an old butter knife and hold it over your stove burner. Heat the knife and then slowly cut into the cocoa butter. That will at least free up some working chunks for you.

I just place mine on a cutting board, and stab it with a sharp knife until it gets small chunks, then pop into several ziplock bags and store in a cool dry place.. if Im heating other hard oils, I will pop however much I need in the recipe into the oils and stir till it melts..takes a bit of time, but I soap cooler so by the time my oils are the right temp, my coco butter has melted and all is well..

Hadn't thought about the processor..I do have a coffee grinder I use for grinding mica flakes..Im sure that would work as well :)

Shunt, that sounds EXACTLY like something I would do if I used big blocks (probably at least a couple of times, am one of those hope over experience types). I don't buy it in huge amounts, a lb or two at at a time, hew off pieces, not using that much in soap since i am a hobbyist and don't make huge batches - weigh out the amt I need, and and just melt it in the microwave in very short bursts. If I need more, eg, making lotion bars, I melt it in my makeshift double boiler contraption.

Thanks everyone some great suggestions on here

I put it in the microwave at 20% power until I could get it out of the tub. It was then soft so I was able to cut it into pieces easily :)

When it gets back to the hard state I might grate some of the chucks so I can accurately weigh it (unfortunately I don't own a food processor)

Back