Coco butter 20%

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy von Elling

Reaction score
I tried a new recipe today and now after reading realize the 20% coco butter is way too much. Has anyone ever had success in a bar with 20% coco butter not breaking apart? I'm hoping itll be okay. Any help much appreciated!

It's 9% castor,
6% canola
20% coconut oil
30% lard
15% olive
20% cocoa butter

Next time I'm going to lower the castor and coco. Hoping maybe this one won't completely crumble.

You should be fine....just be prepared to cut early...check for firmness after about 6 hrs or so. I have a recipe with high cocoa content and it’s ready to cut at 6-7 hrs usually.

I made a 15% cocoa butter one once, and 10% shea - it was ok ( in fact it's a very nice creamy soap). BUT - it didn't have lard as well.
Same.

I use shea, cocoa and mango butters as hardeners so I've used from 10-20% always.. Not sure how fast for CP but my HP soaps have all been ready to cut within the next 8-12hrs.. Sometimes faster.

That is helpful. Maybe I'll try that % next time. I'm off to sleep now. It isn't warm anymore but still gel so I can't cut. Will see how it is in 8 hours. I feel like it is too long to leave it for 8 hours but oh well! Thanks for the comments and help!

By cut I meant from end of cook to molding to cutting.

I've cut warm soap before. And I've also made the mistake of cutting when it had cooled down/hardened too much.

If it feels like a block of cheese - not too hard that you have to push down excessively to cut, but not too soft that you can easily dent it - you can try cutting one end to check :)

I use a mostly hard soap recipe - tallow, co, shea, and cocoa butter - at 65% of my oils and it works out fine.

Latest posts

Back