Coal Soap! ( Pics Added )

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclejonssoap

Reaction score
Hi all. I just finished making a batch of coal soap for christmas. I used activated charcoal in my normal recipe to get an all black soap. Once it comes out of the mold, I will cut it into irregular pieces and place the chunks into small bags as stocking stuffers. This is going to be fun :D I'll try to get some pics up when it's cut.

Re: Coal Soap!

I am guessing that there are quite a few on your "naughty" list this year. Good thing that you thought enough to give them something to "clean up" their act.

:lol: Good one! I can't wait to get home and get it out of the mold today.

Well... I got the coal soap unmolded this afternoon and just got done cutting it. I am so jazzed with the results! I hope my customers like it too. Can anyone tell me how to upload a pic here?

Got it figured out this time I think :D Sorry it still so big. I'll shrink it a bit more next time.

Coal Soap 2.jpg

Activated charcoal is regular crushed charcoal that has been treated with oxygen to open up tiny pores that are said to help cleanse the body of toxins. Not sure how well it works on the skin. I do know it works wonders for certain types of poisoning internally though. Activated charcoal has been used for years as fish tank filter and for filtering drinking water sources.

In soap, the charcoal helps to add color and seems to lend a really cool feeling to the lather.. almost like clay. I make a licorice bar that I want to swirl with the charcoal :D

Jon

omg those are FABULOUS!!! I love them, I may have to try to figure out a version of that, they are so cute!

Activated charcoal works really well in soap and is awesome for the skin. I have had some people report it does wonders for acne but it isn't at all drying and even those of us with sensitive skin can use it. Just be sure you get a super-extra-fine activated charcoal, one that is meant to be used in soap or taken internally. The stuff for fish tanks you will never be able to get fine enough and you will feel like you are washing with sharp rocks. Not good!

Thanks! I think all my FB friends are going to clean me out before I can get them to the show I have this Saturday. Guess I'd better keep the oils warm :)

I just carved a bit with a sharp kitchen knife. I just finished molding a second batch..this time with citrus scent :) I figure I'll give people a second choice in case they don't like the cinnamon.

You've inspired me.
I have 9 grandkids. Not that any of them are naughty but they all would get a kick out of washing with "stones".

Back