CO substitution help, please! :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
I've been asked to make some cp bars for a family friend, without coconut oil, and not pure OO. She's allergic to coconut, and if you even say the word near her, I I swear she gets hives. I'd love to help her out, but all the oils I've tried in my recipes so far would make for either an unbearably drying bar or an unusable oil slick, at such high %s. ::snort::
Any substitution suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

have you tried palm kernel oil? It's the perfect CO sub, its makes a cleansing soap with good bubble. I really like 80% lard, 20% palm kernel for a gentle bar.

Edit:
I've read many sites that suggest Palm kernel Flakes and Babassu. Both look to be too expensive for basic use bars, but am willing to try PKF, if I don't have other viable options.

I always add castor for extra bubbles. If you don't have any, you can get small bottles at Wal-Mart for a decent price. I read that sunflower oil acts with olive oil for more bubbles and that seems to be true for me. So all of my batches are 5% castor and 5% sunflower.

The three cleaning oils are, Coconut, Palm Kernel oil and Babassu...that's all, not other oils has that cleaning benefit. (is what the books about soap say).

Palm Kernel oil is exactly as coconut in bubbles, cleaning etc. with the difference that it is milder in the sensation of cleaning, coconut is more aggressive.

I like to use lard in all my soaps, and I make pure lard soap without coconut or something else, it is nice and gentile to the skin, I make this to the mother of a friend that is 94 yrs old, she love it, the soap has very little bubbles but it has some and it is very nice. For me it is very similar to the pure OO soap (castille) without the slimy benefit, I make this once to her and she doesn't like it, she prefer the pure lard soap.

You can make a test bar with lard, or lard and PKO... try it and if you like it you have another option. Lard makes beautiful soaps!

The three cleaning oils are, Coconut, Palm Kernel oil and Babassu...that's all, not other oils has that cleaning benefit. (is what the books about soap say).

Palm Kernel oil is exactly as coconut in bubbles, cleaning etc. with the difference that it is milder in the sensation of cleaning, coconut is more aggressive.

I like to use lard in all my soaps, and I make pure lard soap without coconut or something else, it is nice and gentile to the skin, I make this to the mother of a friend that is 94 yrs old, she love it, the soap has very little bubbles but it has some and it is very nice. For me it is very similar to the pure OO soap (castille) without the slimy benefit, I make this once to her and she doesn't like it, she prefer the pure lard soap.

You can make a test bar with lard, or lard and PKO... try it and if you like it you have another option. Lard makes beautiful soaps!

so, do you think I could make a soap with olive oil and lard? I do not like to get in to too many ingredients and I have a client who is allergic to coconut oil and she has pseriosis in her hair.

I got my PKO from WSP and I love it.

I haven't found that castor oil add to bubbliness, but it does help stabilize the lather. I use it at 5% or more in almost every recipe. Haven't tried it together with sunflower, at least not as a bubbly enhancer. Interesting!

eta: you may also try dissolving some sugar in your water before you add your lye. sugar does increase bubbles, IMO. Use 1 tbsp sugar ppo

Last edited:
so, do you think I could make a soap with olive oil and lard? I do not like to get in to too many ingredients and I have a client who is allergic to coconut oil and she has pseriosis in her hair.
As I mentioned in another thread. She needs a dermatologist not a soapmaker to help her. Allergies Can be Life threatening. Let the doctor be responsible

You don't have to have a "cleansing" oil in a soap. all soap will clean just at different levels. I understand the caution about making soap for someone with allergies or skin condition but come on people, the OP isn't asking for a cure. A nice gentle soap will be better for this girl then the chemical laden crap she is probably using now.

I've PM'd her genny's shampoo recipe and a nice lard based bath soap. Hope it will help relieve some symptoms, I know what its like to have a skin condition on your scalp, anything that helps is appreciated.
I absolutely would not use a salt bar for severe psoriasis, even if she wasn't allergic to the coconut.

I clearly understand that the OP is not looking for a soap to be a cure for the friend's skin issues, but Carolyn's advice about getting proper medical care does not deserve rebuke. Here's my take on the matter --

The OP says the friend is allergic to coconut oil. If the friend really does break out in hives, that's a pretty serious systemic allergic response. We don't have a clue about the basis for this person's particular allergy to CO, because the OP has not told us.

One possibility is that the friend could be sensitive to lauric and myristic acids. Both of those fatty acids are also found in PKO and babassu as well as CO. If so, the advice being given here to use PKO or babassu is totally wrong for this person and could result in a serious systemic allergic response.

Without knowing the specifics of this person's allergy, there is no way to offer sensible, safe, correct advice. I'm with Carolyn....

Im with DeeAnna and Carolyn as well..the answers given in the other thread apparently went ignored. There was absolutely no reason to be so rude to Carolyn :thumbdown:

Carolyn gave good advice. You should listen. I knew that whoever told you that your friend should go see a doctor was not going to be a popular person with you, but that does not make it bad advice. And posting your question on a separate thread because you don't like the answer you were given is not the best way to get different answers. You should just wait for others to post on your own thread. Give folks time to answer.

If I had been faster responding, I would have been the one to give you the answer to tell your customer to see a doctor. As would most of us who have the good sense not to give medical advice on a soaping forum. So all you have accomplished here is to make us all think you won't listen to good advice.

Back