CO soap which is too oily

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhagyalakshmy

Reaction score
I made a 100% CO soap with 20% super fat by CP. after trace I added dhavanam aroma oil (Artemisia Pallens) as I had that available. I do not know the composition of that, the label just said natural aroma oil. It’s not EO. When I added that, the entire aroma oil changed to deep orange colour. I mixed it and poured it in mould. once the soap is set, now the colour is off white and there is no trace of orange. What I am wondering is

(1) whether it’s normal for aroma oil to change colour?
(2) when I cut the soap, it’s very oily and my hand was coated with oil as well as the mould. Why is it so? It’s hardly 6 hours since I made that soap so I didn’t test it. But it’s hard.

thank you in advance.

Some aroma oils aren't compatible for soap making. But the reason you have so much oil is because you went with a 20% superfat and then added even more oil with the aroma oil. The lye wasn't able to convert all of the extra oil to soap.

thank you. Is the soap usable?

How much extra oils did you add? I make 100% CO soap and add 6% fragrance to it with no oiliness. There are some who claim to SF their soap at 30% with no issue. I would just let it sit. 6 hours isn't that long it may re-absorb.

But the reason you have so much oil is because you went with a 20% superfat and then added even more oil with the aroma oil. The lye wasn't able to convert all of the extra oil to soap.
I don't think this is entirely correct. First, we need to know how much of the aroma oil was added. If it is a true fragrance oil, then it shouldn't factor in the lye equation at all. Many here make a heavy CO with a high SF and fragrance it. However, if it is not a true fragrance oil and is actually a fragrance mixed with another carrier oil, then you would be correct in that the aroma oil needs to factored into the lye equation.

ETA: it looks like this is an EO. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dhavanam+aroma+oil+(Artemisia+Pallens)
So it should not have an affect to the SF of your soap. I would follow Shunt's advice and let it sit for a bit. If it doesn't absorb, I would double check calculations and scale accuracy. Most of the time one of these factors are the culprit for an oily soap.

How much extra oils did you add? I make 100% CO soap and add 6% fragrance to it with no oiliness. There are some who claim to SF their soap at 30% with no issue. I would just let it sit. 6 hours isn't that long it may re-absorb.
It’s 1000 GMs coconut oil and 15 ml fragrance oil as it has a strong aroma

I don't think this is entirely correct. First, we need to know how much of the aroma oil was added. If it is a true fragrance oil, then it shouldn't factor in the lye equation at all. Many here make a heavy CO with a high SF and fragrance it. However, if it is not a true fragrance oil and is actually a fragrance mixed with another carrier oil, then you would be correct in that the aroma oil needs to factored into the lye equation.

ETA: it looks like this is an EO. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dhavanam+aroma+oil+(Artemisia+Pallens)
So it should not have an affect to the SF of your soap. I would follow Shunt's advice and let it sit for a bit. If it doesn't absorb, I would double check calculations and scale accuracy. Most of the time one of these factors are the culprit for an oily soap.

I shall do that and see. Thank you

Extra oil’s almost disappeared. and it lathers beautifully

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back