Classic Soaps-recipe help plz

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billzoe

Reaction score
Hi all... i am trying to make some oil blends that are similar to the following but have no idea on the oils needed-used. These are 'older' smelling soaps, etc with fragrances that were popular circa 1960-1980. Please help if can..

-Coast or Irish Spring soap , 1970's style
-1970s Baby Shampoo (J&J)
-Comet Cleaner (pine and ____?)
-Odoban Cleaner (current/original 'Eucalyptus' which smells nothing like Eucalyptus - it smells like J&J Baby Shampoo)

If no one knows, perhaps just the most common scents for older soaps like the above .

i just have no idea what EO's or FO's are in these or even one of these, if i new those i could prob get close - doesnt need to be exact. This is for custom Air Fresheners for my car (i hate the store bought ones).

thanks,
bz

Thanks all. Yes i am aware of the premade blends, but wanted to diy here so i can change the ratio more (more of what like, less of what dont).

Any help on what specific scents/oils are predominant in these 60's-70's Soap scents ?

I'm not sure about a predominate note, but I've heard that the cologne 'Sung Homme' is very close to Irish Springs, and the notes listed in that cologne are:

Top notes are caraway, juniper berries, pepper, artemisia, basil, sage, bergamot, lemon, galbanum, bay leaf and petitgrain; middle notes are aldehydes, carnation, jasmine, caraway, rose, pine tree needles, geranium and spicy notes; base notes are leather, sandalwood, fir, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.

Irish Springs is, I'm guessing, a synthetic, so I think it would be difficult to accurately recreat on your own. Have you tried buying the fragrance dupe and then experimenting by adding more of the notes you feel are missing by your nose?

Yes, i've tried the dup's , but usually its a case of 'i want LESS of something' so its hard to do, other than try to cover it up-which goes in the wrong direction (can of worms).

Thanks for that listing of notes !!!!:wave:

Also - why is it so hard to find the recipes - is this stuff a secret ? i know there are books that have it, as i have actually SEEN one at The Fragrance Shop (in NOLA), they had a book [behind the counter] that listed ALL the 'secret' ingredients of the notes in almost every established frag. Yet on Amazon, etc, all i can find are the typical "aroma 101' books that tell you nothing but generic blends. The book i saw was very specific... You just look in its Table of Cont. > Aramis or Old Spice or Irish Spring> pg#, and there it is...ALL the notes and ratios. Where is this book ? where do they get it.

BTW, i recently emailed them about it , and of course got no response.

I understand wanting to keep modern scents private, but many of the classics that are no longer made should be public - alot of the scents above are gone now, everyone wants "Mountain Fresh Berry", not "Baby Scent" and Irish Coast.

Last edited:
Hi all... i am trying to make some oil blends that are similar to the following but have no idea on the oils needed-used. These are 'older' smelling soaps, etc with fragrances that were popular circa 1960-1980. Please help if can..

-Coast or Irish Spring soap , 1970's style
-1970s Baby Shampoo (J&J)
-Comet Cleaner (pine and ____?)
-Odoban Cleaner (current/original 'Eucalyptus' which smells nothing like Eucalyptus - it smells like J&J Baby Shampoo)

If no one knows, perhaps just the most common scents for older soaps like the above .

i just have no idea what EO's or FO's are in these or even one of these, if i new those i could prob get close - doesnt need to be exact. This is for custom Air Fresheners for my car (i hate the store bought ones).
So you want car air fresheners that are fragrance copies of products from that era whose scents have been changed since? So something like Ivory soap (said to be a mixture of lemongrass & lemon) or Coca-Cola wouldn't go, because they're still the same, but, say, Ivory Liquid detergent from that era (also using lemongrass, but a bit different) would be sought after by you because they changed it by the late 1980s?

BTW, I noticed the fragrance of the Age Defying version of Olay bar seems to be that of Play-Doh. I'm guessing that was deliberate, a joke in perfume -- "age defying", so like a kid's product, get it?

Also - why is it so hard to find the recipes - is this stuff a secret ?

Yes.

Fragrances, perfumes, etc are all considered trade secrets. Even old ones no longer in use. If you can find a "recipe" for them, someone probably experimented enough to come close.

Having no kids of my own, Johnson's Baby Shampoo would not have a nostalgic effect on me. Rather, it'd evoke, "Oh, no! We're getting our hair washed!"

However, last I happened to smell it, it smelled the same as I remembered from over 50 yrs. ago.

Back