Citrus EOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas Farm Girl

Reaction score
I head that you need to use something else when you use a citrus oil, but I can't find what you have to do in order to use citrus EOs. What about citrus FOs - would I need to do something special with them? I haven't used any citrus scents or EOs but didn't want to waste them when I do.

Folded EOs, like 5x, 10x or 15x Orange, etc., probably don't need anything to anchor the scent down. I have some 15x Tangerine, I think, and it smells pretty good.

The EOs like Pink Grapefruit (*drool* smells SO good) which aren't super concentrated like the folded EOs, some people use cornstarch, others anchor it with another scent like patchouli, neroli, something deep and earthy. Unfortunately, I don't know the amount of cornstarch to use and haven't searched for it myself.

I am too cheap to use my very few EOs in a soap batch right now. Maybe after I make the castile I have planned, I will work on a recipe to make via HP and use my EO in that. I'd LOVE to have pink grapefruit soap, it smells that delicious!

Kansas Farm Girl said:
I head that you need to use something else when you use a citrus oil, but I can't find what you have to do in order to use citrus EOs. What about citrus FOs - would I need to do something special with them? I haven't used any citrus scents or EOs but didn't want to waste them when I do.

I mix my citrus FOs with 1 tsp. of corn starch at least 20 minutes before adding it to my batch at trace to anchor the scent. Works great for me on all citrus based FOs.

Some recommend anchoring citrus EOs with litsea cubea EO, not sure how much. A touch of patchouli can help anchor. Another soaper recommends adding the EO/FO to clay prior to adding to the soap (much like the cornstarch method).

kharmon320 said:
Some recommend anchoring citrus EOs with litsea cubea EO, not sure how much. A touch of patchouli can help anchor. Another soaper recommends adding the EO/FO to clay prior to adding to the soap (much like the cornstarch method).

Yes. I have tried it with clay and Dry-Flo as well and both seem to work.

Back