Cheese Slicer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheese Cutter

I use a wood cheese cutter,too. The only minor problem I've had is that the finish of the cutter has been diminished by coming into contact with the soap loaf. Nothing to worry about. It works great and allows me the ability to size my bars as I wish.

I have found that the wire does not stay tight. It slacks and then comes apart from the rest of the slicer. That has been my experience anyway.

I made a slicer out of wood, and I use a large dough scraper (some call it a bench scrapper) to do the cutting. Have always been happy with that.

The dough scraper and miter box thing is what I used for a few years but my bars always got damaged. I understand that the soap was probably just too soft but the cheese cutter caters to my inability to be patient lol! The wire on my cheese slicer hasn't come loose yet, it actually took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the wire setup because it was so taught. Glad you found what works!

I use a wood cheese cutter,too. The only minor problem I've had is that the finish of the cutter has been diminished by coming into contact with the soap loaf. Nothing to worry about. It works great and allows me the ability to size my bars as I wish.

I started this thread because it was such a toss up for wood vs. marble. I got the marble since the material is more permanent than wood. They are pretty much the same price as the wooden ones, if you ever need to start looking for a replacement.

Hi Herbal Earthling,
I just brought a marble cheese slicer to cut my soap and it does work ok. Much faster than cutting every piece with a knife which is what I use to do. Your right, the loaf does more around on the marble. I had to put "L" shape brackets in two places to stop it moving and to buff the soap up against it so I would get the same size piece every time I cut. If I was to buy another one I would buy wood. Much easier to screw things into it than the marble kind.

For those that have a marble how did you attach you stop blocks? I bought one that I've not yet used.

If you don't want to buy another slicer but want better control of your soap you could put some traction tape on it. A little would hold the loaf in place. A search prices from $1.99 and up on ebay and elsewhere. Look for traction tape, skateboard tape, etc.

HerbalEarthly

I had my partner glue the "L" brackets in place with araldite glue. It works temporarily until I can afford a loaf cutter

I use a plastic miter box, it has 1" & 2" notches to just slide the knife down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back