Cheese Slicer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbalEarthling

Reaction score
Has anyone had the chance to use a cheese slicer for cutting their soaps? I'm looking on Amazon right now and they are very affordable! I'm trying to figure out if metal, wood, or marble would be best. I'm afraid the marble might allow the loaf to slide around a bit but seems the base would be heavier than wood, thus keeping the slicer steady while cutting. And marble may even be easier to wash in terms of not getting allowing soap to get into grooves like wood allows. Then again, some marble is kinda "flaky" if you will so maybe wood would (haha) be the best option. As for metal, I don't know. Lol! Any thoughts?

I bought a wooden one, so I could mark out measurements 1' 1.5 inches ect

Oooh that's a good idea. Does your soap slide around on it? Any problems with the slicer lifting up when you're cutting? I've never used any kind of cheese slicer like that, just a cheese cutting utensil (for cutting actual cheese).

i have the marble. not my fave. a firm pressure is needed to hold the soap, otherwise it slides. is it the marble? dunno. i have never tried the wooden one, so can't compare.

i have the marble. not my fave. a firm pressure is needed to hold the soap, otherwise it slides. is it the marble? dunno. i have never tried the wooden one, so can't compare.

Good to know thanks! I have a marble one and a wooden one in my Amazon cart right now so I'm really banking on input from you guys to help make my decision. I've watched a few videos and have read a lot of reviews and I've only found one where a customer asked about using it for soap. Thanks again!

I picked up a marble type on at a thrift store for 3 bucks and yes soap has a tendency to slide around. It was cheap so I bought it I'll be on the lookout for a wooden one

I picked up a marble type on at a thrift store for 3 bucks and yes soap has a tendency to slide around. It was cheap so I bought it I'll be on the lookout for a wooden one

Since you're using it for soap do you think it would help to rough up the surface with sand or emery paper? Nothing to lose and perhaps the soap won't slide around so much.

I have a marble one and I like that it's so easy to clean and you always know that it won't warp from being exposed to soap and water all the time. I stuck a ruler to the side of mine with double-sided sticky tape and it helps keeps the soap in place when cutting. On the other side of the wire, I drew with a permanent marker 1 inch and 1 and a quarter inch lines directly on the marble as measuring points and that works just fine. I mostly use it for round soaps. Mine's no good for tall soaps, it's too small.

I have a marble one and I like that it's so easy to clean and you always know that it won't warp from being exposed to soap and water all the time. I stuck a ruler to the side of mine with double-sided sticky tape and it helps keeps the soap in place when cutting. On the other side of the wire, I drew with a permanent marker 1 inch and 1 and a quarter inch lines directly on the marble as measuring points and that works just fine. I mostly use it for round soaps. Mine's no good for tall soaps, it's too small.

Thanks so much for all of the details! I do like the fact that the marble won't warp like wood would. Are you saying that you use double sided sticky tape on your soap or the ruler? Great idea with permanent marker to mark the thickness of the bars. I make round soap (I believe 2 1/2") but want to start making "square" bars as well. I hope I can find one that is tall enough. Thanks again!

No, not on the soap. LOL I used the tape to stick the ruler to the marble. It's stuck on the vertical edge so it's sticking up above the marble surface so it keeps the soap lined up straight when cutting. It's holding up remarkably well. That double sided tape is strong as heck!

ETA: If you place a thin book or something under the cheese slicer on the side where the wire's hinge is to tip up that side a bit, it helps keep the soap in place, even though the marble is slippery, coz the soap will slide up against the ruler and that stops it from gliding off the marble. I like the slipperyness (is that a word?) because it makes it really easy to move the soap forward.

Last edited:
No, not on the soap. LOL I used the tape to stick the ruler to the marble. It's stuck on the vertical edge so it's sticking up above the marble surface so it keeps the soap lined up straight when cutting. It's holding up remarkably well. That double sided tape is strong as heck!

Lol! Okay gotcha that makes a lot more sense. I was like huh?? Anyway, another silly question: if the tape is really strong, do you remove the ruler/tape when you wash it or do you just wipe the cutter down? You're awesome thanks so much for sticking with me! Tight budget, not a lot of room for experimenting.

Nope! I just leave it on. It stays stuck even when I wash the slicer. It hasn't come off yet. No worries if it does come off at some point though. I have a whole roll of that tape! LOL (I think it's called double-sided carpet tape?)

I just placed an order on amazon for this slicer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FS0G84/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

So excited! No more reject bars (hopefully). Yay!

I also ordered a single electric burner as my soap space is downstairs and for obvious reasons, we have the stove in the kitchen which is upstairs. I almost had a mishap with the oils last week when making soap. I was taking the melted oils back upstairs because the butters started getting cloudy again. I tripped going up the stairs, and with both hands still on the handles of the pot, managed to plop the pot on the next stair up. Ya, that was the end of that. And I ordered a mesh tea baller because the sieve that I used for herbs in my pencil line last week wasn't fine enough and the bar ended up separating because I had to much herb for the line. :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1396399291.529940.jpg

I glued down a piece of quarter round molding to keep the soap from sliding. Works perfectly!

Latest posts

Back