Cheese Slicer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a marble one. I had no problem putting marks on it so I can cut differently sized bars. The soap does slide a bit, I'm planning on gluing something as a bottom edge to prevent the soap from sliding as well as make sure the soap is lined up properly on the board for the handle to not get hung up on the loaf.

ETA: lol, looks like the gluing something idea was already mentioned. Its so interesting that multiple people come to the same idea independently. I haven't gotten around to finding something to glue on to mine yet.

Last edited:
I have a wooden and I asked my husband to fix two bars as a guide. It works perfectly. Here is a photo:

cheese cutter1.jpg

Funny this should come up, I've just taken delivery of a stainless steel one. The steel was around the same price as wood and marble but two things swayed me to that choice, firstly even if the soap is still a touch caustic when its cut the SS shouldn't suffer any ill effects and secondly it came with two spare cutting wires.

Mind you, I haven't had a chance to use it yet so how well it works remains a mystery for now.

One important thing to note, illustrated by the example from Nframe - put the holding guides on the other side from the hinge so that it holds in place better.

I'm not sure what you mean? What are you considering the hinge? If you mean the 2 guards, with that method you lose the flexibility to cut different sized bars which is one of the plus sides of this type of cutter.

I'm not sure what you mean? What are you considering the hinge? If you mean the 2 guards, with that method you lose the flexibility to cut different sized bars which is one of the plus sides of this type of cutter.

I consider the hinge to be the part of the cutting aparatus that is connected to the board. It would be best to have the guide on the other side from the hinge (as in the picture from nframe) because the pushing during cutting will not move the soap as it's already against the guide.

As for an end guide, I would want to cut regular sizes rather than various sizes, so the set up from nframe again is a winner for what I would be looking for

I'm sure everyone would put the guide opposite the hinge for that reason, so the soap doesn't slide while being cut. One on the top wouldn't stop sliding as well, you'd still have to use your hand to steady it up against. It's easy to make markings to line up with as far as bar thickness, so that you still have the flexibility of choosing the bar size. As opposed to a multi wire cutter where you're stuck with the bar size it was manufactured to.

It would be easier to hold it firmer with a second bar - you're pushing it in one direction rather than having to keep it in place and stopping it from going in two directions. Try it - get someone to push against you from one direction and you stop them. Now have them try to move you in various directions and you stop them - much harder as you have to react to the direction rather than keeping a constant force in one direction.

Of course, it is then harder to have the adjustable sizes! So it's a trade off, unless you make some sort of adjusting method for a second guide.................now that would be cool.

It would be easier to hold it firmer with a second bar - you're pushing it in one direction rather than having to keep it in place and stopping it from going in two directions. Try it - get someone to push against you from one direction and you stop them. Now have them try to move you in various directions and you stop them - much harder as you have to react to the direction rather than keeping a constant force in one direction.

Of course, it is then harder to have the adjustable sizes! So it's a trade off, unless you make some sort of adjusting method for a second guide.................now that would be cool.

Slots or holes drilled in the base would allow the guides to be placed at different horizontal and vertical positions. This would allow you to lock down the guides wherever you preferred using short bolts, washers and wingnuts.

Its really not necessary to hold it steady in multiple directions, I don't even have the bottom guide on my cutter yet and have nerve damage in my arms/hands and have no problem using this cutter to cut nice even bars. The bottom guide is mostly to make things faster and a little easier, large (dimension not thickness) bars have to be lined up correctly or you can't cut through the entire loaf in one slice.

N frame-I think jkevin meant what is the size/dimensions of your cutter that you posted a picture of. It looks like a nice large size but hard to tell. It's really nice!
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Oh! Sorry! It measures 26cm x 19cm. It is not that big really. The two bits of wood that serve as a guide are really good. It makes 2cm-thick slices.

Cheese cutter

I have found that the wire does not stay tight. It slacks and then comes apart from the rest of the slicer. That has been my experience anyway.

I made a slicer out of wood, and I use a large dough scraper (some call it a bench scrapper) to do the cutting. Have always been happy with that.

Back