charcoal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harveybw

Reaction score
I made the CP soap below using charcoal to colour but noticed as I cut it that the black was all over my hands. It's the first time I've used charcoal and I'm wondering, will it produce black bubbles and lather even after a few weeks cure?

010-4.jpg
001-2.jpg

WOW those are gorgeous!

I'm surprised your hands got black. With charcoal I don't get black lather. Maybe a slight gray tinge but that should be about it. Then again I've not tried it fresh.

But my black soap is solid black, so still...

Thanks carebear, yes I was quite pleased with how they came out. This was my first attempt at an ITP swirl :D

Gorgeous soap!!! My hat's off to you!!

Shouldn't get black lather - surprised it was on your hands. I use at or just over 1 tsp. PPO for a nice black and grey (and white of course!) if that helps any.

Good job!!

i don't get black lather either in non-salt soaps. i do get black lather in salt soap bars, but then again i put in a ridiculous amount of charcoal for my acne soap. and just tell people it WILL lather black and to use an old washcloth :)

Soaplady22 said:
Gorgeous soap!!! My hat's off to you!!

Shouldn't get black lather - surprised it was on your hands. I use at or just over 1 tsp. PPO for a nice black and grey (and white of course!) if that helps any.

Good job!!

Wanted to check and make sure before I try this. The charcoal I ordered indicates using 1 tbs PPO. You referenced you use 1 tsp PPO. I'm more inclined to go with your recommendation since obviously you have experience with charcoal. What do you think.

I'm on the high side - I do about a tablespoon PPO and still get faintly gray lather, not black. Mine is positioned as a "clarifying" product (i.e., it contains charcoal - consumer draws the conclusion) so I want to load it up.

But others use much less and seem to get great black, so maybe I'm higher than I need to be.

Thanks so much for all the replies :D The soap was quite soft still when I cut it (bit too eager :oops: ) so maybe thats why I had black on my hands plus it didn't gel. I used about 2 teaspoons in approx 1/3 of my soap (1kg batch) to do the swirl. I think I could have easily used less.

Wow, I like those! Black and white is so cool for soap.

Is charcoal smooth or does it ever feel a little gritty like spices do?

Lush makes products that turn the bathtub black so if it does, it cant be too bad can it?

Absolutely gorgeous! My charcoal soaps are loaded up with charcoal and have a grey lather.....

I love the results you got there...

How do u use the charcoal? Do u just mix it in with part of the soap first? or do u mix with water or oil before mixing it into the soap?

glassdoll said:
How do u use the charcoal? Do u just mix it in with part of the soap first? or do u mix with water or oil before mixing it into the soap?

Those are really beautiful soaps!
I'd love to know this as well. Bought some charcoal from BB and haven't used it yet, because I don't know how, lol.

My attempt to mix it with water was a NIGHTMARE. It floated on top and refused to mix in. I now mix it into a bit of oil or some glycerin before adding it to the soap batter.

Lindy said:
I mix it with some oils just the way I do any other colourant and then add at light trace.....

This is exactly how I did it :D I had to come on here to find out how to do it first :lol:

Latest posts

Back