Charcoal - Tea Tree Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0871.JPG

Oh wow! Me likey very much!
I cut a lengthwise strip/bevel off the corner. I know it's still green, but I couldn't help but rub it under water....white suds!!! I hope that holds true for the cure. As I understand it, the charcoal will remove toxins. The kaolin clay will help to retain moisture and the tea tree is antiseptic/healing. The lavender is supposed to be calming, but I suspect that's more of an aromatherapy affect. I get that's all theory, but that was the plan. Hopefully, this will be my first official sale to the banker lady who asked if I could make charcoal soap.

It is beautiful soap, DW!

Did you check with her (the banker's wife) about allergies? Some people are allergic to lavender; and tea tree oil can produce skin reactions in some people as well.

I think the kaolin clay is supposed to give the soap a silkiness and creaminess. I haven't used it myself, so can't say from experience.

It is beautiful soap, DW!

Did you check with her (the banker's wife) about allergies? Some people are allergic to lavender; and tea tree oil can produce skin reactions in some people as well.

I think the kaolin clay is supposed to give the soap a silkiness and creaminess. I haven't used it myself, so can't say from experience.
I have not, but will label and list the ingredients properly since, while I’m not going to infer any therapeutic properties beyond getting you clean, many people who seek this product will do so because they have skin issues of some sort. Last thing I’d want to do is make them worse.

Very nice! I know she will like them! White suds......perfect! Guess I will have to knock mine back a little :)
@Terri E Thank you, thank you for starting this ball rolling. I would never have even tried this if you hadn’t led the way. It really has a different texture, and I can see how it would work to draw out impurities (and moisture if you’re not careful). It feels a little like holding a charcoal briquette but without turning your hands black—sorta like how holding chalk makes your mouth feel dry. We often give activated charcoal to poison patients in the ED because toxins bind themselves to it. #amazingstuff

DW, interestingly enough I have not found this soap drying at all. I hope that doesn't change but you never know. I really like it and yes, the properties of activated charcoal are quite amazing. I used food grade coconut charcoal. The jury is still out on the charcoal toothpaste but otherwise it is good stuff :)

0F574B3F-0A45-45DB-80FE-B25CE9B94EBE.jpeg
Here we go 1 week later...Nice, creamy white lather. Slight staining if applied to a white clothing applied directly, but what would anyone really expect from charcoal? I do find it a bit drying at this stage—not in a bad way, but I don’t feel any oil left on my face after using. For folks with issues that would lead them to use this soap, that’s probably the idea. The tea tree makes them seem very clean—almost sterile, which I also believe is a plus when your smearing something black on your face. I can’t wait to deliver these to my banker. I think she’ll be super pumped.

I do find it funny that everyone Loves the Charcoal and says that it detoxifies............ but that is not true in a wash off product unless you are leaving it on the face for a long period of time.

I too make it only because it will sell. They joys of Soap making :D

Tea Tree, Peppermint and Eucalyptus are the top scents I see in these :)

I do find it funny that everyone Loves the Charcoal and says that it detoxifies............ but that is not true in a wash off product unless you are leaving it on the face for a long period of time.

I too make it only because it will sell. They joys of Soap making :D

Tea Tree, Peppermint and Eucalyptus are the top scents I see in these :)
Well, the people with psoriasis sure do swear by it. I made it on a special request.

hmmm, that is funny. It is usually the Salt bars (salt water) that help with this and also eczema.
But as a wash off product charcoal is not on the skin long enough to 'detoxify' as some people claim.

If there is a study/proof that it does I will be more then happy to change my mind if someone would post it.

Like I said, I also make it and let the customer think what they want. I only tell them that it is Soap and it Cleans :)

I too made my charcoal soap as a request from our office manager for her granddaughters. Apparently it has worked for their acne in the past. I did recommend that the lather be left on the skin for 5 minutes when they shower. I also made her a charcoal lotion for nighttime use and no it is not black, lol!

I also make activated charcoal and bentonite soap and absolutely love them. They don’t dry out my skin and don’t stain the washcloth at all. Unlike when I use mineral colorants. There’s just something about the look of black soaps.
Congrats your soaps look amazing!

A friend of my sisters came out from the UK and bought a couple bars of my charcoal swirl soap for her son who has some skin issues - he had heard that charcoal was good. Anyway, he LOVES it, and she has now ordered 4 more bars (which another friend of ours is taking over to her in July when she visits the UK).

Back