Castor

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

golden_seal

Reaction score
Is there any reason in particular that I always see castor oil at 5% in recipes?

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It enhances the bubbles/lather from the other oils. It's noticeable at even 5%. Most folks don't do much higher than that, because it can make a too-soft or sticky finished bar.

mymy

Reaction score
Cartor oil is good to boost lather and bubbles. Appropriate amount will make the bar moist and nice to cut. Plus, it has lots of benefit especially for our hair.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If castor is used to high it can cause a sticky soap and it will also accelerate trace, but 5%-6% seems to be the sweet spot with adding support to the bubbly factor. I know some disagree about the acceleration but I have a slow trace recipe that I have varied the castor and there was quite a difference in tracing when using 3-5%. Castor itself does not make a high lather soap, but supports the lather from the bubble creating oils.

golden_seal

Reaction score
I was going to try 14% but now I'm not so sure, haha. I just want a good amount of bubbles.

Last edited:

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I differ from the general norm in that I use 10.5% castor in my tallow/lard formula, and I use 10% in my 50% OO formula. For what it's worth, neither of them are sticky or soft, but much depends on the rest of one's formula. In my shaving soap/croap, I use 20% castor.

IrishLass :)

SplendorSoaps

Reaction score
I usually use castor oil at 5-10% in my recipes, and haven't had any of the stickiness that some report. It might have to do with the ratios of other oils that I'm using. It's definitely worth doing some experimenting!

golden_seal

Reaction score
Its interesting how you get so many different answers :) I ended up putting 8% in the recipe but won't find out how that works out for awhile yet because no time to make soap at the moment. Plus I just made 10lbs of soap these last couple days and I will be swimming in soap soon, lol.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I too use as much as 10% with no issues. A bit more in my shave soap. Castor doesn't really make bubbles but helps stabilize them. You could also add 1 tsp of sugar ppo into your water and dissolve before adding your lye.

HappyHomeSoapCo

Reaction score
Yup, i go against the norm. I use 8-15% castor. But i also use high % of tallow & shea. I was told once that it's safe to go higher in castor when you have a high % of hard oils. Was that Irish Lass? I think so!

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yup, i go against the norm. I use 8-15% castor. But i also use high % of tallow & shea. I was told once that it's safe to go higher in castor when you have a high % of hard oils. Was that Irish Lass? I think so!

Yep- I resemble that remark. :)

penelopejane

Reaction score
Its interesting how you get so many different answers :) I ended up putting 8% in the recipe but won't find out how that works out for awhile yet because no time to make soap at the moment. Plus I just made 10lbs of soap these last couple days and I will be swimming in soap soon, lol.
I think you get so many variable answers because everyone has different skin and different likes and dislikes about the soap they like to use. Soap, it seems, is even more a matter of personal preference than food. :)

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I think you get so many variable answers because everyone has different skin and different likes and dislikes about the soap they like to use. Soap, it seems, is even more a matter of personal preference than food. :)
This^^^^^^^! :thumbup:

BakingNana

Reaction score
Yep, count me in with the mavericks. Normal 7%, but some of my recipes range up to 20%. Never have had a stickiness issue.

golden_seal

Reaction score
I haven't tried my soap I made about a week ago with 14% yet. I will find out soon enough. Hopefully I will be able to make the recipe with 8% sometime next week.

Latest posts