Castor Oil for hair growth

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Castor oil is great for your scalp, and I do think it helps prevent breakage...but: there is no way her hair grew 4 inches (looking at the picture) in 30 days. You can also tell the second photo is a top down shot where the perspective is tricking the eye into thinking the hair is much longer than the first.

I’d like to try this’ I’ve got the organic castor oil love it in soap 🧼. Hair growth is average 1/2 inch per month & I want fast quick results, that doesn’t happen then I get impatient & stop. Ugh… 🤣😀🙃

According to the AAD, the fastest that hair grows is on half inch per month or six inches per year. I can attest to this because it takes four years to grow my hair from the back of my bra to the top of my butt and that includes getting it trimmed four times a year. I’m at the ‘butt’ stage right now which means it’s time to get a major cut…have an appointment in two weeks along with some purple streaks.

I'm doin' it!!! I saw some of these at Target and couldn't resist.

CONAIR Hair Conditioning Caps - 30 pc. - $4

I started the treatment last night. The caps are comfortable enough to stay put without being too tight. I thought the crinkle-crinkle noise might wake me up during the night but I slept straight through. Heard a "crunch" at the break of dawn when I awoke as usual. There were NO greasy spots on my pillow. YAY! :thumbs: :thumbs:

I left the castor oil on for 12 hours, massaging every once in while, before shampooing twice. I used warm to cool water followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse. Hair rinsed clean and felt very nice. I skipped the conditioner because I didn't think it needed it. I towel-dried my hair, ran a comb through it and allowed it to air-dry like she suggested, "no heat".

Hair looks healthy with no frizzies. Nice. I'm hoping for thickening as I have fine thin hair. I plan on doing this for 30 days unless "Life" interfers as it so often does. :p

Last edited:
I have done a little research into hair loss as I suffer from androgenic alopecia which came upon me during menopause. I found a lot of people are using castor oil as a carrier oil and 3-4% Moroccan Rosemary EO (ct Cineole) for hair regrowth and strengthening.
I use this 3 times a week in the hopes that I can re-grow some of my hair. Rosemary oil (ct Cineole) was tested in a peer reviewed study and gave the same results as 2% minoxidil (Rogane) for hair regrowth.
I have been doing this for about a month now and I can say that my hair and scalp feel amazing. I won't know if it has helped the alopecia for about 6 months though but I do love how my hair feels now.

Castor oil may be helpful, but there are no studies to back up the claims. IMO the best way to grow hair back topically is to use the following recipe below: (I started making this for my hair recently and it is great!)

2 cups sticky rice
6 cups filtered water
Organic grapefruit rinds (I usually use 2-3 grapefruits)
1 tbsp whole cloves
a couple of stalks of organic rosemary
He Shou Wu tea
Green Tea
Peppermint Tea
Rosemary Oil
Peppermint Oil
Bonus (if you can find - often in your local international market): Cactus leaf; aloe leaf
(I also sometimes add Biotin, Collagen, Vitamin D3 and K to the mix for extra hair nutrition, but I think those work better taken orally).

Wash the sticky rice to get off the dust/dirt, etc. then add to the filtered water. Wash thoroughly with your hands for 20-30 minutes. Filter out the rice and add the rice water to a pot then add all other ingredients, bring to a boil, put on lid and then let come to a cool completely. Double filter with fine mesh strainer and cheesecloth. Add to a container and let ferment for atleast a day (preferrably for 1 week to 3 months). Add to a spray bottle.

I use this mixture for my hair whenever I shower. I will use this with half castile soap, half this concoction as a shampoo, then for conditioner I spray this onto my scalp and hair and let soak it for about 5-10 minutes, then I lightly rinse off.

I always start with an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. 1 cup filtered water to 2 tbsp apple cider.

My hair is the healthiest it has ever been and I have lots of baby hairs growing. Not a single gray in sight (these ingredients should also help ward off the gray) - some women in China use a similar recipe to this one and don't see gray until they are in their 80's!

I have done a little research into hair loss as I suffer from androgenic alopecia which came upon me during menopause. I found a lot of people are using castor oil as a carrier oil and 3-4% Moroccan Rosemary EO (ct Cineole) for hair regrowth and strengthening.
I use this 3 times a week in the hopes that I can re-grow some of my hair. Rosemary oil (ct Cineole) was tested in a peer reviewed study and gave the same results as 2% minoxidil (Rogane) for hair regrowth.
I have been doing this for about a month now and I can say that my hair and scalp feel amazing. I won't know if it has helped the alopecia for about 6 months though but I do love how my hair feels now.
Check out my recipe above. I think it will help you! :)

Last edited:
Looks great, but there are no quantities for the teas and the essential oils?
I personally use the below (but it's really up to you as to how it feels on your scalp and probably would change off of what brands you use - so use your discretion):

He Shou Wu tea (1 tea bag cut so that tea will be loose leaf or 1 tsp)
Green Tea (2 Tbsp loose leaf tea - or about 6 tea bags cut open)
Peppermint Tea (3 tea bags cut so that tea will be loose leaf - or about 3 tsp)
Rosemary Oil (about 5 drops)
Peppermint Oil (about 5 drops)

I don't brew tea in their tea bags as often tea bags have been treated with several chemicals and I don't want those in my hair/to drink.

I personally use the below (but it's really up to you as to how it feels on your scalp and probably would change off of what brands you use - so use your discretion):

He Shou Wu tea (1 tea bag cut so that tea will be loose leaf or 1 tsp)
Green Tea (2 Tbsp loose leaf tea - or about 6 tea bags cut open)
Peppermint Tea (3 tea bags cut so that tea will be loose leaf - or about 3 tsp)
Rosemary Oil (about 5 drops)
Peppermint Oil (about 5 drops)

I don't brew tea in their tea bags as often tea bags have been treated with several chemicals and I don't want those in my hair/to drink.
Thanks Rebecca, will certainly give this one a go :cool:
Appreciate your contribution here

Wash the sticky rice to get off the dust/dirt, etc. then add to the filtered water. Wash thoroughly with your hands for 20-30 minutes. Filter out the rice and add the rice water to a pot then add all other ingredients,
I also have another question, do you not actually cook the rice? Do you just stir it around with your hands in the cold water for 30 minutes?

I really hope it helps you! Let me know if it works/doesn't work! I am curious to see if I am just a one-time case or if others would benefit. :)

I also have another question, do you not actually cook the rice? Do you just stir it around with your hands in the cold water for 30 minutes?
I do not cook the rice. I scrub the rice with my hands by rubbing the rice between my hands/fingers for 20-30 minutes.

I do take the rice after that though and cook it in my rice cooker with some chicken broth. It is delicious, lol.

I would love some before/after photos like the girl on this thread (if you can). :)

I'm doin' it!!! I saw some of these at Target and couldn't resist.

CONAIR Hair Conditioning Caps - 30 pc. - $4

I started the treatment last night. The caps are comfortable enough to stay put without being too tight. I thought the crinkle-crinkle noise might wake me up during the night but I slept straight through. Heard a "crunch" at the break of dawn when I awoke as usual. There were NO greasy spots on my pillow. YAY! :thumbs: :thumbs:

I left the castor oil on for 12 hours, massaging every once in while, before shampooing twice. I used warm to cool water followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse. Hair rinsed clean and felt very nice. I skipped the conditioner because I didn't think it needed it. I towel-dried my hair, ran a comb through it and allowed it to air-dry like she suggested, "no heat".

Hair looks healthy with no frizzies. Nice. I'm hoping for thickening as I have fine thin hair. I plan on doing this for 30 days unless "Life" interfers as it so often does. :p
So it's been a few months now, what are your results?

👎 👎 I stopped the treatment after three applications. :(

The castor oil was so hard to shampoo out without harming my hair, that I stopped.
I've heard a lot of other people say this too. Personally, I use a Jojoba/Rosehip/Seabuckthorn mixture on my scalp/ends for when I think a conditioning treatment would be helpful, but I dont need it often because the rice water I use above is very conditioning.

Thanks. I have very fine thin hair. I certainly don't want to add to this mess.
I wish there was a "care" like button here because I completely understand you when you say you have very fine hair. I have used SO many hair products for my fine hair and very little worked. My hair would constantly tangle, and if it got wet was impossible to comb through (not anymore). It wasn't until I researched what would work and formulated a recipe of my own (based off of a lot of research) that I found something that truly works for me. I posted the recipe earlier. Give it a try if you feel ambitious. I hope it helps others as much as it has helped my hair. :)

P.s. my husband calls my hair "fluffy" now. 🥰

Pictures of when I last made my rice water recipe. 🥰

Pictures of my hair before/after I started using the rice treatment. It's not a large noticeable difference (because it's only been a month), but there are several baby hairs coming in now as you can see. I've also noticed my frizz is practically non-existent now. (I used to use Paul Mitchells smoothing products: shampoo, conditioner and skinny serum). Not anymore!🥰

P.s. I do not style my hair, this is how my hair looks after just brushing it.

Attachments

• 20220704_183648.jpg
    20220704_183648.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220704_185620.jpg
    20220704_185620.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220704_191501.jpg
    20220704_191501.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220704_192507.jpg
    20220704_192507.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220704_215551.jpg
    20220704_215551.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220402_095016.jpg
    20220402_095016.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220621_140851.jpg
    20220621_140851.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220617_204901.jpg
    20220617_204901.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Why is there a difference in the way the rice water looks? left one looks like water, the other like milk. So when you finish cooking the concoction, you mix that with the rice water? Or rice water for the rinse?
The first picture is when I just had added the rice to the filtered water. The second is after 20-30 minutes of scrubbing the rice into the water. It shows what the scrubbing does to the water in the process.

You will drain the rice water into the pot, then add all the other ingredients into the pot with the rice water, bring to a boil, let cool with the lid on then double-filter. The end picture is the final product (after all of the ingredients are boiled together and then double filtered). You will then want to ferment the mixture for best results, so put in air tight container before using for atleast 24 hours and up up to 3 months.

Why is there a difference in the way the rice water looks? left one looks like water, the other like milk. So when you finish cooking the concoction, you mix that with the rice water? Or rice water for the rinse?
My hair care process is below:

1. Apple cider vinegar rinse (2 tbsp apple cider to 1 cup distilled water)
2. Shampoo made with half of the rice water/half castile soap
3. Condition by spraying the rice water concoction onto my hair and soak in for 5-10 minutes before lightly rinsing.

Last edited:
My hair care process is below:

1. Apple cider vinegar rinse (2 tbsp apple cider to 1 cup distilled water)
2. Shampoo made with half of the rice water/half castile soap
3. Condition by spraying the rice water concoction onto my hair and soak in for 5-10 minutes before lightly rinsing.
Thank you! You are a peach! Thank you! :)

Back