Castille Soap Sugar Scrub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fg123

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ive been trying to create a scrub with castile soap using this DIY Turmeric & Ginger Body Scrub - Soap Queen formula (except no turmeric, swapped olive oil for coconut, and coconut fragrance instead of ginger). I totally didn't realize that the fragrance had vanillin until the scrub turned brown. Basically what im asking is if I use a fragrance with 0% vanillin in it won't discolor the scrub right? Or do fragrances just not mix well with castile soap? Thanks

There are a lot of fragrance oil elements that can discolor in addition to vanillin. The best way to ensure that you don't get a discoloring fragrance oil is to purchase from reputable suppliers who test their fragrances in CP soap and show the results after a number of weeks, and to read reviews to make sure nobody else experienced discoloration with the fragrance oils either.
Vanillin does discolor, but fragrance oils without vanillin can also discolor. Yellow, orange, purple, brown, and pink are all discoloration possibilities I've seen that don't require any vanilla.

Latest posts

Back