castile soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomemadeBathGoodies

Reaction score
I am interested in adding half water to my liquid castile soap base and would like to know if a preservative is needed for this product?

Or is it stable enough not to add one in?

Any advice would be appreciated!

So if I understand you properly you want to dilute your paste with equal amounts of water to paste? If that's right then no you don't need to add a preservative to it.

ETA If you start adding any botanicals, dairy, beer or anything other than water then you would need a preservative.

I am using the liquid castile soap base from dr bronners, and I want to dilute it half with water. Some people say add a preservative, others say not too, because the base is very stable. So I am a little confused.

Dr. Bronners isnt a castile(but thats another topic), and you dont need a preservative. Its just soap.

As I understand it, the reason why soap doesn't need a preservative is because the pH is high enough to inhibit any bacterial or fungal growth. If you thin in out it will lower the pH. I don't know what the cut off level is for needing a preservative but that is worth investigating.

Salt has been used throughout history as a preservative. pH itself does not create a preservative system. Soap by its very nature does not create an environment for bacteria or mould to grow even when reduced/diluted by water unless you are addint bioligicals or botanicals after the cook then you have a whole new ball game.

It's Bastille which means it is high in Olive oil but there are other oils in it such as Coconut and/or castor. For it to be castille it must be 100% olive oil, Dr Bronner's is bastardizing the name for profit. Do No Get Me Started................... :evil:

But, but "Made the same way for 120 years!"

and "cures whatever ails ya"

I love Dr. Bronners for camping :}

It's Bastille which means it is high in Olive oil but there are other oils in it such as Coconut and/or castor. For it to be castille it must be 100% olive oil, Dr Bronner's is bastardizing the name for profit. Do No Get Me Started................... :evil:

I just looked and olive oil is the 3rd oil listed after coconut and palm, yet they advertise "pure Castile"! Crazy!! I've never used it, so I just always assumed it was Castile...:thumbdown:

But, but "Made the same way for 120 years!"

and "cures whatever ails ya"

I love Dr. Bronners for camping :}

ROFLMAO! I'm not saying it isn't a good soap, I'm just saying they are riding on the coat tails of a soap that is famous and a benchmark for gentle. Because they are doing this I've seen soapmakers try and call their Bastille a Castille which is a mark against our industry as a whole. :problem:

Okay, okay I'm getting off my soap *hic* box..... :lolno:

Preface: Admins, please excuse me..

Dr. Bronners pisses me off to no end! Some days i feel like putting a big banner up somewhere and calling them on it. 'Dr Bronners is not pure castile because Dr Bronners is NOT even Castile!'. They should not be allowed to advertise as a Castile, should not be able to say its been made the same way for however many years they claim, and imho the European Castile makers should be suing the pants off them for false advertising and bastardization of tradition! Dr. Bronners is not Castile! phew...

End of rant.

Agreed 100% about it not being Castile! My parents were buying it by the gallon before I entered the world of soap making and told them it's absolute nonsense. I'm curious to see when I start up with LS whether or not the name Bastile will bring about interesting questions and open up the door to carefully let customers know that their beloved Dr. Bronner's is full of it!

It was really, really hard to not fill those sentences with F bombs and other favourite four letter words...lol. My mom would be proud..lol.

Class action? Im in!

Ive been calling my high oo bar soaps bastiles in advertising, in hopes of opening up the same conversations about who is/is not selling castiles.. bronners!... so far not much biting, then again i have not been calling my ls bastiles. aha! That will be next on the list. Im thinking it might take banners and class actions though.

I was tempering the f bombs too.

Here's another idea - on your website have that discussion that there are imposters out there that are using commercial product bastardizing the name of Castille. Explain the difference and then some history on Castille soap itself. Don't name names but perhaps on your FaceBook page ask likers to tell who they have noticed misrepresenting their soaps as a Castille when in truth it is not.

In fact I'm off to my FB page right now to start that discussion.

i make some soap 100% pure olive oil, one with water/ one with goats milk/ and one with coconut milk are they all castle or just the one made with water.

thanks just courious i nomaly just say olive oil and goats or coconut soap.

You can use whatever adds you want as long, like 100% Natural said, Olive Oil is the only oil used. I make a Goat Milk Castile for babies and it is wonderful plus the Goat Milk add to the lather...

Back