castile soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a small bottle of Dr Bronner's to use in my soap pump, I am very unimpressed with it. At the time, I DID think I was purchasing a Castile soap (I have been the wiser for a while!) but, the next issue I have with it, is it does seem to go off in the pump. I'm using the lavender scented one & if I fill up the pump fully, I have to throw about half a bottle out because it smells bad before it gets used up. Its a foaming pump thing so you only use a small amount of soap & alot of water. So, I have been only filling the container half full (it's pretty small, only 6 oz - 5 oz water to 1 of soap for a full bottle), which works better. Regardless, when I finally do run out, I'll be looking for another soap to use. The one thing I do like about the Bronner's is that it's very thin, like water, rather than syrupy like alot of (commercial) liquid soaps. But, that's not enough to keep me coming back, especially since it is, imo, completely false advertising to call it "Castile". I have not tried to make my own liquid soap & at this point in time I have no desire. I'm still learning soooo much about soap bars lol.

Last edited:
Lucid, I'm just curious as to why you like the very thin liquid soaps. Is it because its easier to put in a foamer bottle?

I bought a small bottle of Dr Bronner's to use in my soap pump, I am very unimpressed with it. At the time, I DID think I was purchasing a Castile soap (I have been the wiser for a while!) but, the next issue I have with it, is it does seem to go off in the pump. I'm using the lavender scented one & if I fill up the pump fully, I have to throw about half a bottle out because it smells bad before it gets used up. Its a foaming pump thing so you only use a small amount of soap & alot of water. So, I have been only filling the container half full (it's pretty small, only 6 oz - 5 oz water to 1 of soap for a full bottle), which works better. Regardless, when I finally do run out, I'll be looking for another soap to use. The one thing I do like about the Bronner's is that it's very thin, like water, rather than syrupy like alot of (commercial) liquid soaps. But, that's not enough to keep me coming back, especially since it is, imo, completely false advertising to call it "Castile". I have not tried to make my own liquid soap & at this point in time I have no desire. I'm still learning soooo much about soap bars lol.

I am always trying to thicken my soap since I don't like it thin... :lolno:

Lucid, I'm just curious as to why you like the very thin liquid soaps. Is it because its easier to put in a foamer bottle?

Yes, I find the pump can get a bit sticky with thicker liquids, or even too much of the thin liquid. For virtually any other purpose, I definitely prefer a thicker liquid though.

Oh, as far as the soap turning, Bronner's is (obviously) a very diluted soap to begin with. As you are adding about another 400-500% water to one of your foamer bottles than you are soap, its thinned out even so much more. I suspect that ANY LS diluted THAT much is going to turn, not just Bronner's. You're adding so much more water, so that gives the nasties SO much more water to grow in. If you really want to dilute it down that much, you should think about adding a preservative on your own.

Oh, as far as the soap turning, Bronner's is (obviously) a very diluted soap to begin with. As you are adding about another 400-500% water to one of your foamer bottles than you are soap, its thinned out even so much more. I suspect that ANY LS diluted THAT much is going to turn, not just Bronner's. You're adding so much more water, so that gives the nasties SO much more water to grow in. If you really want to dilute it down that much, you should think about adding a preservative on your own.
I was using dish detergent for a short time, & before that a thicker liquid soap & had not had the problem of the soap going off. So far it has been only with the Bronner's. As I mentioned, the problem I've had with the other liquid soaps has been the pump getting a bit sticky which is why I quit using the others.

Lucidcat a lot of the soap suppliers sell diluted liquid soap and you might be better off with that.
Yes, I will be looking for an alternative. I might just melt down some of the bits of my own soap, stick blend them & try that.

So glad I read this.. If always wondered how and the heck Dr. Bronners was Castile. Never made sense to me and thought I had a screw loose for not being able to figure it out.
Shame on them! All those bottles I've bought! (Because I really do like it.) :/

Back