Canola Oil in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bubbly Buddha said:
I don't use Canola personally, but in perusing the craft sales locally I've noticed that two different sellers both list Canola in their ingredients, along with some preservatives (Rosemary Olerosin I believe). The other sellers did not provide an ingredient listing for me to examine :wink: .
Rosemary Olerosin is not a preservative. For CP soap, any preservative gets eaten up by the lye. You can add Vit E or Rosemary Olerosin to your oils when you first get them as they help retard oxidation.

soapbuddy said:
Bubbly Buddha said:
I don't use Canola personally, but in perusing the craft sales locally I've noticed that two different sellers both list Canola in their ingredients, along with some preservatives (Rosemary Olerosin I believe). The other sellers did not provide an ingredient listing for me to examine :wink: .
Rosemary Olerosin is not a preservative. For CP soap, any preservative gets eaten up by the lye. You can add Vit E or Rosemary Olerosin to your oils when you first get them as they help retard oxidation.

Tocopherols are non-saponifiable... they should survive the lye just fine. Do you experience differently?

Preservatives do not generally survive the high pH environment of lye.
Tocopherols are not preservatives. The do squat against bacteria and mold.
Tocopherols are anti-oxidants.

And just as an FYI, many things that are not saponifiable are nevertheless not stable in the presence of lye.

carebear said:
Preservatives do not generally survive the high pH environment of lye.
Tocopherols are not preservatives. The do squat against bacteria and mold.
Tocopherols are anti-oxidants.

And just as an FYI, many things that are not saponifiable are nevertheless not stable in the presence of lye.

Great info... thanks, Carebear.

I once made a few batches with canola oil. I don't remember a DOS issue but this oil is so soft I decided to add cocoa butter or beeswax to the recipe.and I never went 19%. More around 12% was as high as I wanted to go. The bars were purple so I think DOS would have been noticeabole but maybe I gave them away or sold them before I could see any spots decvelop.

This has been discussed on the forum before, but here is a great link to Dr. Kevin Dunn's experiments/conclusions concerning DOS and what works and what doesn't at preventing DOS:

http://cavemanchemistry.com/HsmgDos2006.pdf

:) IrishLass

Ha! I knew the BHA in my lard was helping!! Not bht, like he said, but shelf stable lard definitely makes for reduced DOS. That's my secret.

I use,16% canola (and 16% soybean oil.) I have No DOS. My theory is that the preservatives in the meat shortening I use at43% are the reason. Yes, I've had bars that were 5-7 years old.

Latest posts

Back