Canola Oil in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplymcghie

Reaction score
One of my best recipes that I use very frequently has canola oil in it at about 19%. I read on here somewhere that it can tend to make DOS in your soap but so far I've never noticed a problem. But I guess my question is, do people get turned off from your soap if they see canola oil listed as one of the ingredients? I'm just trying to figure out if I should come up with a different recipe for soaps that I sell.

It probably depends on what information your customers have about canola soap and if they buy for many months in advance. You should rely a lot on feedback from your own customers.

I don't buy soap for long term storage purposes, so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

Btw, if you have a secret which prevents DOS, feel free to share it :p

I have two favorite recipes, one has 15% canola. I still have one bar left from a year ago, no problems. If your recipe works for you, keep it! As far as what people think. General consumers aren't soap experts, so I doubt that ingredient would turn them off to buying your soap.

Fragola said:
Btw, if you have a secret which prevents DOS, feel free to share it :p

I wish I had a secret which prevented DOS cuz that would be great and I would definitely share.

Maybe starting with a super clean work space/ environment and quality ingredients??

But I really have no clue.

simplymcghie said:
One of my best recipes that I use very frequently has canola oil in it at about 19%. I read on here somewhere that it can tend to make DOS in your soap but so far I've never noticed a problem.

And I hope you never do. :) The only batch I ever had DOS on me was a canola batch and I had to throw it away. The DOS showed up a few months after I made it and infected the whole 3 lb. batch. A good thing to keep in mind is that DOS does not show up right away. Usually it takes months, so it is good practice to set aside a sample from your canola batches (or any batches made with high linoleic oils) to keep an eye on for a period of time (to me, a year would be ideal). Subjecting them to heat/humidity tests is good, too, just to see how they react/perform under certain stressful conditions.

simplymcghie said:
But I guess my question is, do people get turned off from your soap if they see canola oil listed as one of the ingredients? I'm just trying to figure out if I should come up with a different recipe for soaps that I sell.

I personally have never run into anyone averse to canola in soap, or any other oil/fat/butter I put in my soap for that matter. They're happy if it just smells good, lathers good, and gets them clean without drying them out (we're not too picky around here). :) I feel safe to say, though, that they would get turned off if their soap all of a sudden came down with ugly, orange, DOS measles. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that all that much.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
And I hope you never do. :) The only batch I ever had DOS on me was a canola batch and I had to throw it away. The DOS showed up a few months after I made it and infected the whole 3 lb. batch. A good thing to keep in mind is that DOS does not show up right away. Usually it takes months, so it is good practice to set aside a sample from your canola batches (or any batches made with high linoleic oils) to keep an eye on for a period of time (to me, a year would be ideal). Subjecting them to heat/humidity tests is good, too, just to see how they react/perform under certain stressful conditions.

I have a few bars that I've been keeping for about 6 months and they haven't had any problems. I've only experienced DOS once and that was on a rebatch that I did. I'm just being a little paranoid about it now. I would hate for customers to come back and tell me their soap went bad :oops:

The very first batch of soap I ever made had about 20% canola oil. I didn't know at the time that it was prone to DOS. But here it is, a year later and the soap I have left is still looking good. Go figure. I haven't used canola since though so I don't know if I would continue to have problems are not. I've heard others say they love it.

This has been discussed on the forum before, but here is a great link to Dr. Kevin Dunn's experiments/conclusions concerning DOS and what works and what doesn't at preventing DOS

I have seen that article before, very informative.

However, from browsing this forum, it seems that certain people successfully prevent DOS, without doing anything obvious. Or they simply don't notice them :p

Personally I don't buy or make soap with canola but not because of the problem with DOS. I don't because most canola is genetically modified. I make GMO free and organic soaps. Just my 2 cents.

Fragola said:
This has been discussed on the forum before, but here is a great link to Dr. Kevin Dunn's experiments/conclusions concerning DOS and what works and what doesn't at preventing DOS

I have seen that article before, very informative.

However, from browsing this forum, it seems that certain people successfully prevent DOS, without doing anything obvious. Or they simply don't notice them :p

:p You clearly don't get it, and I'm not speaking of DOS. :p
Do you think we are making it all up?

How do you know the soap with 19% canola doesn't develop DOS?
How long have you kept the soap for? In what type of conditions? How old is the soap when you sell it? Just because a soap hasn't DOS'd at 4 weeks doesn't mean it wont DOS at 8 weeks, or 12 weeks, or whatever.

Personally when I added Canola to my batches I'd read about the DOS potential and added Vit E along with it. I use 15-20% and I'm still watching my bars and at 4 months still nothing but anyone testing bars from me I've warned them about DOS.

Since its friends and family I asked that if it DOS shows up to let me know the conditions they were kept in. So I have my own control group and my testers are another.

Also, according to my soapcalc numbers my L&L numbers are only at a total of 13% I think which, on another thread running on this same topic, commented that those numbers kept below a certain level would mean I've lessened my chances of DOS as well.

Not saying it will never happen but I've done what I could and now time will tell and I'll be watching.

I expect my soaps to last at very minimum 1 year in pretty much all "normal" conditions - and normal for a soap means on the ledge in the shower. not saying your canola soaps won't survive those conditions - but it's more than likely you will get DOS. if you get it, no biggie - if a customer gets it... ICK.

vjbakke said:
Personally I don't buy or make soap with canola but not because of the problem with DOS. I don't because most canola is genetically modified. I make GMO free and organic soaps. Just my 2 cents.

Very good thing to think about. I've been doing a little reading about canola oil and just learned that a lot of it is genetically modified. It sure makes me think about it. . .

i use it & I've never had a problem. I always ck the date on the bottle when I buy it & I NEVER heat the canola, ( I read somwhere that this can cause problems)

I don't use Canola personally, but in perusing the craft sales locally I've noticed that two different sellers both list Canola in their ingredients, along with some preservatives (Rosemary Olerosin I believe). The other sellers did not provide an ingredient listing for me to examine :wink: .

Latest posts

Back